View Full Version : White Smoke and Bad Shakes

edster
09-07-2006, 21:11
I have a 94 Crew Cab long bed pickup. The mods I have done are:

Max-E-Tork chip w/Turbo Master
3" exhaust
EGT, Boost and Tranny temp gauges
AFE Intake kit for 6.5 trucks-Pro Guard 7

I was comming home from a trip over labor day weekend towing the 23.5 ft travel trailer. Came up on congestion so I slowed down. When at around 1500 RPM the truck starts to shake. When I get around 2000-2200 RPM the shaking seems to go away. It shakes from idle to around 2200 RPMs. I noticed that I was puffing white smoke out of the exhaust and my low end power was gone. I also noticed that my MPG went down tremendously. Lastly there is a ticking sound coming from the truck. The sound seems to be coming from the underside of the truck but I'm not sure since I didn't want to run the truck any more than it need to run.

I have done some looking around the fourm but can't seem to find anything that matches the symptoms I have. There are postings about white smoke and postings about rough Idle but not the problem I have. I hope I didn't fry the motor. :confused: I will change out the fuel filter but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!!
Ed Muranaka

Bnave95
09-09-2006, 03:12
Any ideal on how many miles you may have on the injection pump? Have you read this http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2006, 07:09
Possibilities, in no particular order:

Fuel filter plugged
Bad tank of fuel
Poor ground contact
Fuel suction air leak
Injector(s) stuck open or worn out
Injection pump
Head gasket*
Cracked head*

*Is it using coolant?

84 Convert
09-13-2006, 22:30
This muat be something catching in SW WA. My '84 Crew Cab started exhibiting the same symptoms about a month ago but I haven't been able to check it out due to hectic schedule.

Have you found the culprit? My suspicion has been a broken intake valve spring, as I had much increased noise from the intake following the failure. You may not have noticed this due to the turbo which I am lacking.

I was thinking that piston speed at low rpms is too slow to blow the valve shut but at higher speeds it will blow shut and run more smoothly. Heavy throttle gets more white smoke due to still low compression. The ticking may be your valve tap dancing on the piston.

In any case, please post your findings so that others may benefit (myself included).

Thanks

Gregg

84 Convert
09-19-2006, 19:20
I DID have a collapsed valve spring. Don't know what happened to yours, but mine had similar symptoms. I hope the valve stayed away from the piston enough to save it.

Best of luck!

Gregg