PDA

View Full Version : Dead Starter?

GoremanX
09-08-2006, 12:33
I drove to a nearby store today and parked the K2500. Nothing strange happened, everything was running flawlessly. When I came out of the store and tried to start the truck, it didn't even turn over. All the lights in the dash work fine, the lift pump is coming on, and both batteries are fully charged, all wires are firmly connected, but the starter won't turn the engine over. It sounds like it's engaging the ring gear (I think), but it's not spinning.

I JUST had this starter replaced back in May! It was replaced with a brand new one (not rebuilt) by a GMC dealership. It's been under no undue stress! Can it really have died already? Can something else be preventing the engine from starting?

The truck is stuck in that parking lot until I can either get it started or tow it home. :(

More Power
09-08-2006, 13:06
Double-check the battery cables, especially the cable between the passenger side battery and the starter.

Otherwise, it could be due a starter solenoid contactor not applying battery power to the starter motor. Could be an easy fix, though it will require removing the starter.

Jim

qwomack
09-08-2006, 13:06
Make sure all your battery posts are clean and tight. Happened to me all the time before replacing the wimpy lead bolts with good 3/8" bolts and jam nut.

GoremanX
09-08-2006, 13:48
All battery cables are new and as tight as can be. I use the top battery posts with brass rings, not the wimpy side terminals. I'll try jumping the starter directly with a screwdriver tonight and see if that works. I hope the positive terminal on the starter is somewhat accessible...

I just found out that the starter is still under warranty. Since I had it changed at a GM dealer, and it's a brand new part, it has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty at any GM dealer in North America. All I have to do is get the truck started and drive it to the nearest dealer. I'm lucky the guy who sold me the truck was willing to pay for the new starter back in May, otherwise I NEVER would've paid dealer prices to have it done...

GoremanX
09-10-2006, 18:57
Found the problem! All wires were in fact firmly connected to their respective terminals. However the cable going from the battery to the starter was ripped in half at the middle :) Took 4 blown fuses to figure that out. A quick temporary bridge with a screwdriver allowed me to start the truck and drive it home, where I quickly changed the cable. It had rusted right through IN THE MIDDLE! How strange! Must've been a break in the sleeve that allowed the strands to corrode. Anyways, all is well now :)