PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Duramax

drred4
09-08-2006, 19:03
So far I love it. Just curious of what anyone has done about maintenace on it. I have read a little in the other posts about changing some filters early and maybe even the oil early on.

Also any suggestions what to do when the new ULSD is at the pumps. Will anyone be putting a additive in to take the place of the low sulfur count.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Rinker
09-09-2006, 06:18
Your truck (and all other Duramaxes for that matter) are fine with the new fuels. The problem would be if you tried to burn the 'old' fuel in your new truck.

As for maintenance intervals, use your owner's manual as your bible. Keep good records, as GM service advisors use this data for determining warranty claims.

Many on here switch over to synthetic after the first two or three conventional oil changes. I like Mobil's Delvac. So does Catapillar corporation. Most here agree on a quick (1000 mile) rear end change done, definately after the first good pull if you tow a boat or camper.

The most important filter to keep track of is your fuel filter. Its good to keep those changed ever 10K miles and its a good idea to carry a spare one with you in case you get a bad tank of fuel and plug one prematurely.

Air filters will need to be changed often as well. I use OEM filters and replace every 10K miles with the fuel filter and spin-on (external) tranny filter.

Enjoy!

drred4
09-09-2006, 09:59
thanks for the info so far. I will probably change the rear diff next week then. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated. I was also reading about adjusting the torsion bars to raise the front a little. Would this cause any problems?

Mark Rinker
09-09-2006, 10:07
Any change to the ride height using the torsion bars changes caster/camber settings. A little won't change it enough to scrub tires, but in a perfect world you'd re-align the truck after arriving at the disired height and ride quality. Don't forget to factor in the trailer and loads you pull into the decision. What looks and works well unloaded changes when loaded.

Next time you see a heavily loaded Dodge on the road with a bumper-pull anything, look at how out of whack the alignment is on the front wheels. They scrub off front tires fast when towing in this manner, I've been told.

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2006, 10:11
thanks for the info so far. I will probably change the rear diff next week then. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated. I was also reading about adjusting the torsion bars to raise the front a little. Would this cause any problems?

Any more adjustment than about 1.5" will require an allignment, but no problems. How much you raise it depends on the reason.

You can increase the torsion bar preset to accomodate tire dia. increases up to about 33". More than that may require a lift kit (not just a "key" replacement). As much, or more important if you are increasing tire size is wheel selection. The backspace offset is a key to fitment, depending on wheel/tire width. Spending a little time on research and selection will make it much easier, and less expensive.

Good advice on the fluid changes, so far. All the recommended services have been discussed at length on TDP, so a little searching will yield a lot of solid advice.

drred4
09-09-2006, 11:51
thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. Its real nice to have a forum like this to talk about mods, problems and most of all the great things about the Duramax. Speaking of such goo things. I had a new mustan GT beside me and another car at a light. Well the GT was revving the engine going to race the eclipse beside it. I said what the heck lets see what she(duramax) has. The driver in the Mustang was watching the other car until he saw my front fender in the passenger window. I had to let off as my lane merged, but it was real funny watching him double take when he realized what was beside him. HA HA HA :D :D

anyways thanks again everyone

Mark Rinker
09-09-2006, 18:47
You should see the expressions when you PASS people going up hills with a 30' boat in tow. I have seen rice burners mash it and not be able to keep up...too much fun :)

Dave
09-10-2006, 17:15
I agree with the passing with something in tow.

I love going up Saludia, a 6 to 7 % grade with a 12000 pound RV in tow passing all the cars. The look on their faces is priceless.