PDA

View Full Version : Installed new stereo in my 06 and now SES light on

Petrella
09-09-2006, 20:57
I have no clue why, i installed my alpine flip screen monitor with navigation in my truck today, and since the installation my engine light has been on and wont turn off. I disconnected the facory radio, and the instrument cluster when i did the installation. i also started the truck and moved it with no ip cluster while i was working. After i finshed putting the dash back together, the ses light came on and wont go out. i disconnected both batteries, but no luck the light is still on, after i got fed up and installed the facotry radio back, and the light is still on. does anyone have an idea why this is happening?
thanx
Anthony

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB
LBZ/6 speed
305 70R/16 tires on Eagle 16x10 rims
Chrome wire mesh grille

mark45678
09-10-2006, 15:09
my guess is the body control modgel had anti theft built in..... I am sure there is a few GM tec's here that can give you a better idea of what to do.

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2006, 16:15
You really need to read the codes to know what is going on. My guess (and it is a guess) is the PCM missed the IP (with the ODO missing, also) and/or whatever else you had disconnected during your short run. The codes could just be stored, with no current condition. If so, the code should clear itself after several ignition cycles, probably 40 or 50, depending on the code class. The integrated security won't set a persistent SES, if at all.

Petrella
09-10-2006, 19:39
i hope that is the case, im gonna wait about a week or so, i dont want to go to the dealer so they can say that i was the cause of the problem, ill try the 40 to 50 starts and take it from there. if its still on ill bring it to the dealer to clear the codes

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2006, 20:03
I suggest pulling the codes BEFORE taking it to the dealer. You may find you just forgot to plug something back in, or it's a ghost code (like above). The dealer will be happy to charge an hour to tell you that. If you don't know someone with a scanner, code reader, or a Predator, it may be in your best interest to just buy a scanner. You can get a moderately featured model for less than $100 US. The nice thing about these scanners is they can be used on just about every other OBD II vehicle. Actron has a nicely featured scanner for around $200 US (model 9145, or something like that). Pep Boys carries Actron, but most all the parts stores carry similar scanners.

Petrella
09-10-2006, 20:19
i had the truck a week, the dealer better do it without charging me lol. If so, ill get my buddy whos a snap on dealer to check the codes for me with his scanner. thanks for the help!

WhiteMax
09-10-2006, 20:31
It is my experience that when a hard code is thrown a record of all important parameters will be stored with it. Speed, temp, rpm, etc. etc. The next time the ecm see's those conditions it will check to see if the problem still exists and turn the light off if it doesn't see it. You need to find out what those conditions are with a scanner and duplicate them. If the light doesn't go out then you still have the problem providing you have duplicated the conditions. Clearing the codes on an OBD-II system is not the way to go as it also resets system ready. System ready can take a very long time to get active when it's reset.

Petrella
09-10-2006, 20:42
wow that sounds really complicating
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB
LBZ/6 speed
305 70R/16 tires on Eagle 16x10 rims
Chrome wire mesh grille
pics of my truck - http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=12647120&uid=2685617&members=1

FLEETMANSPH
09-11-2006, 15:27
$ 100 in adapters will fix that.Go to a stereo shop they will have them.

Petrella
09-11-2006, 19:23
I drove my truck to the back of my dealership and the diesel mechanic was there on his break. I told him what happened and he brought out his GM Tech 2 scanner cleared the codes, and the light went off. He did that in like 2 min, and said ok your all set. that was nice of him. He said there was a bunch of codes that triggered when i disconnected the ip cluster. i wont do that no more