PDA

View Full Version : IP Wrench

moondoggie
09-10-2006, 10:26
Good Day!

I thought maybe we could consolidate what we know about what tools work & maybe what tools don't, in terms of R/R & adjusting timing.

I stole the following from gmctd's post in the 6.5 Turbo Diesel forum, which caused me to start this topic: "FYI - those recently-new box\open ratcheting gear-wrenches now on the market come in several different flavors, one with a swivel-head capable of several positions to up 90deg perpendicular to either side of the plane of the wrench, for a total of 180deg.

The 15mm size in that version works wonders for adj the Inj Pump - the handle is serrated on the edge indicating the direction of force.

You just flip the handle for on or off action, flip the head to get into tight places - the ratchet action is fine-increment, allowing for close quarter work.

With a little experience, you can loosen, rotate, and lock down the IP within 5 minutes of opening the hood.

Sears has a half-off sale several times a year

Try it - you'll like it................"

If gmctd would be so kind as to help us out, could what he's talking about be this #1 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00942481000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Wrenches&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) (Click in colored text) or this #2 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00947903000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Wrenches&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)?

Blessings!

gmctd
09-10-2006, 14:00
Yes - most definitely it is the one in the link marked - this -

But, seriously, folks - as the second link rewarded me with the blue screen of death...............

It is like the top wrench in the first link, but without the locking swivel feature - which takes up valuable real-estate

Also offered as a lever-reversible ratchet, like on a normal ratchet-handle, that one also erodes your space.

Wrenches are offered in metric and inch versions - the half-off sales do make all the sets easily attainable.

Don't leave home without one..............

moondoggie
09-10-2006, 14:19
Good Day!

Hmmm...I tried both links with no problems. Maybe try again later, eh?

My purpose in asking is selfish, of course, but also so anyone can search & find this in years to come. Plus, perhaps others will have good ideas they can add. ;)

(1st post edited for clarity.)

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

gmctd
09-10-2006, 14:43
Ok - tried that again, so it is the top wrench in the 2nd link

However - it mooned me again on the way back - cont-alt-del, reset, cycle power to get here

Shoulda known better - the Dr told me to avoid links, even the beef ones.:rolleyes:

moondoggie
09-10-2006, 15:59
Good Day!

Our IT guy checks for software, anti-virus, etc. upgrades weekly. After reading about your troubles, for the 1st time I think I'm glad he does.

Come on, anyone else got the "read deal" for twisting those pesky IP nuts?

& BTW gmctd, thanks for hanging out here & continuing your help.

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

gmctd
09-10-2006, 20:49
It's a good thread - hope it's as helpful as that wrench has been to me.

Thanks, again.

N9Phil
09-11-2006, 05:45
Moondoggie, you are right on with those wrenches. Last Spring I was trying to adjust my timing on one of my 95's. I tried the S wrenches and I had a terrible time. I had a set of the swivel-head wrenches and thought they would be great so I got a set in metric and it made the job almost simple. I remove the Air conditioning compressor and go in from that side around back. A person can easily go in remove the serpentine belt, compressor, adjust the IP and reinstall the compressor and serpentine belt in less than 5 minutes.

N9Phil