PDA

View Full Version : did my truck do an "optic bump" on itself?

Cowracer
09-11-2006, 06:32
This thing is nearly undrivable...

I can accelerate. I can decelerate. thats it. no inbetween.

I have comfirmed that it is not a trottle sending unit issue by borrowing one off a guy at work. Same symptoms with either installed, and mine works ok on his truck.

Heres what it does....

at idle, the engine will fluctuate a few RPM on an constant 1 cycle per second pattern. in neutral you cannot control engine rpm with the throtte. enough throttle to bring it up off idle will send it to the red line.

In gear, the slightest amount of throttle will cause quite a bit of accelration. the RPM will fluctuate as well (I hate to call it a surge becase its only maybe 50 rpm total change). Holding the throttle open at that same setting, the truck will slowly keep accelerating until it is doing 85 plus and in the redline in top gear. Its like at each 'surge', the RPM dont come all the way down to the original position, and they accumulate until you are screaming down the hiway.

Filters are new. the lift pump is confirmed working. The FSD appears to be ok. The SES light is erratic. sometime it comes on, sometimes not, but the truck drives exactly the same either way. I have yet to pull codes. I should be able to get them tonight.

I have heard of trucks where someone got a little carried away with the optic bump acting like this, but I never touched it, or the resistor. This problem has gotten progressivly worse over the course of a couple weeks.

I will crack open the top of the pump this week and try de-bumping the optic a bit, but I am really concerned about why or how that might have changed.

Any other ideas would help.

Thanks.
Tim

diesel65
09-11-2006, 09:35
I don't know what causes it, but the symptoms you just described about "touching the throttle and the engine runs away" on you is that the injector pump needs to be repaired.

john8662
09-11-2006, 10:55
Could be a bad FSD.

Saw a 6.5 at a local diesel shop where you would start up the engine, it would immediatly rev up once you hit the throttle. The FSD had smoke coming out of it as well.

Get the codes, this should be interesting!

Fun ride?

J