PDA

View Full Version : Help my Glowplug is Stuck!

Rot Box
09-12-2006, 10:17
I ordered a new set of quick heats from Kennedy, and also got a new downpipe for my turbo. I have been putting off intalling them for a long time now because I was scared that the ends of my stock glowplugs would be mushroomed.

With winter on it's way I figured I'd better get it going, and sure enough when I went to pull the plug (above the starter) it came out good untill it ran out of threads and now it is hopelessly stuck in the head. The way I figure the other seven will most likely be the same way (factory 9-G's I think :rolleyes: ).

Does anyone have any advise that they could share on this situation? I could go off on how cheesy this design is, and how much money I've dumped into this truck already, but I won't........... I just want some peace of mind. If it comes down to pulling the heads................I will rid myself of the truck before I ever do that (just for glow plugs anyway).

Thanks for any input I really appreciate it :cool:

DmaxMaverick
09-12-2006, 10:43
The plugs shouldn't be 9G's, unless someone installed them. It's more likely you just have a plug with some soot built up on it. Try tugging/twisting/tugging to see if you can gain any ground on it. Ultimately, you may have to remove the injector to get it out. If you do remove the injector, plug the flash hole in the cup (rolled up piece of innertube, or something similar), break off the injector and fish/blow out the remaining pieces.

Rot Box
09-12-2006, 11:06
Off to work now, but tommarrow I'll give er another try. Soot.... that makes sence. Hopefully I'll have better luck. Thanks!

JohnC
09-12-2006, 12:00
Take a strip of brass or aluminum the width of the exposed threads. Bend it into a "U" shape big enough to slip over the threads. Slip it over the exposed threads and squeeze it with vice griups until the threads bite into the metal. Unscrew the plug from it's new threaded holder until it pulls free of the head.

DMM: I'm pretty sure the '95's still came stock with 9G's. Mine lasted 145,000 miles...

93_Burrito
09-12-2006, 13:10
I picked up my '95 Tahoe with its original AC 9G's. Immediately swapped them out for a set of 60G's...

DmaxMaverick
09-12-2006, 13:12
.....DMM: I'm pretty sure the '95's still came stock with 9G's. Mine lasted 145,000 miles...
I replaced mine about 18 mos. ago and 11's came out. The were original. One of them was stuck, and it was sooted. That plug was dead for some time (#6), and I think that's what allowed the soot to build up. I've pulled OEM 11's from a '93, also. It's possible they were still installing 9G's, but the only reason that comes to mind would be emmission requirements, or regional destination. Maybe a CA thing. Now, the only OEM listed replacement is the 60G, which causes problems with dealers that R&R without accommodating the longer glow requirement.

noelb
09-12-2006, 22:36
Take a strip of brass or aluminum the width of the exposed threads. Bend it into a "U" shape big enough to slip over the threads. Slip it over the exposed threads and squeeze it with vice griups until the threads bite into the metal. Unscrew the plug from it's new threaded holder until it pulls free of the head.

John, How did this method work for you? I'm interested as the only reason I'm putting off the job is the possibility of stuck glow plugs and some of my injectors are hard to get to so I can't afford a broken glow plug.

JohnC
09-13-2006, 09:24
John, How did this method work for you? I'm interested as the only reason I'm putting off the job is the possibility of stuck glow plugs and some of my injectors are hard to get to so I can't afford a broken glow plug.

If the plug is not swollen up bigger than the hole, it'll pull it out. Just don't break it off until you have removed the injector and plugged the hole at the bottom of the cup.

Rot Box
09-13-2006, 10:18
That's got to be one of the most stressfull things I've attempted on my truck so far. I need my truck really bad this weekend, so I just put it back together for now :( I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they are not the 9-G's (:confused: ) I'm thinking that I'll just pay the price to have someone else deal with it. It's just a headache that I don't have time for right now.

Also I noticed that one of the wires was grounding out on the exhaust manifold :rolleyes: (oh yeah.....big surprize) would that effect the other 7? or are they all on individual circuit's? Sorry for all the questions I'm still learning the system.

Thanks a bunch really I apprecitate your help :cool:, and that's a good Idea with the tubing John I'll have to try that for sure.

JohnC
09-13-2006, 10:28
...Also I noticed that one of the wires was grounding out on the exhaust manifold :rolleyes: (oh yeah.....big surprize) would that effect the other 7?

Nope.

Only three others. If it's really shorted it'll blow the fusable link for that cylinder bank. (Be pepared to replace the harness...)