PDA

View Full Version : heavy black smoke and low power when towing

Georg
09-12-2006, 11:17
Hello

Can any body help me with some problems?

1. When I tow cars and take the pedal to the floor, its normally just come heavy black smoke, and some anthor times it run pretty well.

And some this when I run with no cars at the trailer, its runs bad and some times pretty well

2. The fuel dispely lives it`s own lifte. I have change the diesel meter.

Thanks

Georg
( from Norway )

The truck has 3

DennisG01
09-12-2006, 11:50
What you mentioned is indicative of something being wrong with the turbo system/vacuum control system. Lots of black smoke equals unburnt fuel. Since the problem goes and comes, I would rule out the the turbo itself. More than likely it's a problem with the vacuum system. Either a cracked vacuum line or the wastegate solenoid is bad (my vote is on the solenoid).

Warren96
09-12-2006, 17:15
First get a vacum gauge!

Hubert
09-12-2006, 18:57
YES I agree it can be boost or vacuum related. Also can be ambient temperature and humidity. With out an intercooler the intake air temperature can get hot. At times when it runs better is it cooler or more humid? That can make a difference. Have you done anything to improve cold air intake?

Check boost levels are consistent.

autocrosser
09-13-2006, 06:44
If the turbo boost is ok check the cat converter if you have one. Disconnect it at the down pipe ans see what it looks like at the inlet. There's a screen there. Try driving it with it disconnected and see how it runs.

Georg
09-13-2006, 09:30
to day I change the solenoid, and the black smoke was gone.
but after driving upp some hills with the trailer the black smoke was back again.

the car is stock, only 3`exhaust, not anything to improve the cold air intake.

GEORG