PDA

View Full Version : Oil from Turbo

Ryan L
09-12-2006, 17:35
Replaced the exhaust manifold with a BD. When installing I removed the intake tube and hoses from the intercooler for easy access and found oil in the bottom hard pipe (enough to run out,but not alot). I've used 1.5qts in the last 3k, none before that. At what point should I become concerned? Have 13k on the truck now.

WhiteMax
09-12-2006, 18:52
I had oil leaking from my intercooler intake hose. I took it to the dealer and all they did to fix it was reseal the hose. I don't like it but they must think it's normal.

More Power
09-12-2006, 20:39
Beginning with the LLY, GM began routing crankcase gases back into the turbo, through the intercooler, and then back into the intake manifold so the gases could be burned. Crankcase gases contain some oil vapors, so it's normal for a small amount of oil to collect in the intake system/intercooler. It normally blows through the system and doesn't collect in an amount that we need to be concerned about.

You can treat the engine oil with a dye that glows under florescent light. If raw oil was leaking last the turbo shaft bearing/seal, it might show up in the turbo & intake, where condensed oily vapors might not show anything out of the ordinary.

Jim