PDA

View Full Version : Larger capacity replacement fuel tank

upsguy
09-12-2006, 19:36
Does anyone make a larger capacity fuel tank that I can replace the stock one with using the same gage and fuel lines.

DmaxMaverick
09-12-2006, 19:50
Does anyone make a larger capacity fuel tank that I can replace the stock one with using the same gage and fuel lines.
www.transferflow.com (http://www.transferflow.com)

upsguy
09-13-2006, 19:19
Thanks! I found that web site not long after posting the question. That looks just like what I was looking for, although more expensive than I thought it would be.

DmaxMaverick
09-13-2006, 20:29
None of them are cheap. You get what you pay for.

cowboywildbill
09-14-2006, 03:28
It was one of the best mods that we did to our 02. We are getting ready to do the same to our 06 with another 56 gallon transferlow.

WhiteMax
09-14-2006, 06:58
Have they found a way to get all of the fuel out of the bigger tanks yet? The last I heard was that up to 8 gallons weren't usable and I would be heated if I ran out of fuel with that much left in the tank.

STPETEBLUE
09-16-2006, 13:08
$900 to hold an extra 20 gallons. Wow! :eek:
Wish I could mount a second tank on the other side.

DmaxMaverick
09-16-2006, 14:06
$900 to hold an extra 20 gallons. Wow! :eek:......
Yup. That's exactly why I don't have one. Just couldn't justify the cost vs. return. If it were about half that, I might consider it.

STPETEBLUE
09-17-2006, 12:09
Or twice the capacity.

JD_Diesel
09-17-2006, 21:47
I think it's 30 gal not 20 gal unlees y'all talkin short bed????? JD

STPETEBLUE
09-18-2006, 08:26
My truck is an ext. cab long bed and has a 34 gallon tank. What I've seen for tank replacement was a 56 gallon tank. A 22 gal. increase does not justify $907 IMO.

Now if I could add a 56 gallon to my existing 34 gallon without having to go into the bed, I might consider it.

DmaxMaverick
09-18-2006, 08:57
I think it's 30 gal not 20 gal unlees y'all talkin short bed????? JD

The gain is actually about 20 gallons for either. The SB model from ~26 to 45 gallons, and the LB from 34 to 56. This is for the Transferflow, but others are similar.

FBJR
09-19-2006, 22:05
The gain is actually about 20 gallons for either. The SB model from ~26 to 45 gallons, and the LB from 34 to 56. This is for the Transferflow, but others are similar.

Do the other cost about the same? That is what really holds me back. The inbed custom tank looks better all the time :D

FB

Roy W
09-20-2006, 07:31
Go to www.northerntool.com and look at in-bed auxillarytanks. You can get a auxillary 60 gallon toolbox/tank combo for less than $600. Probably $150. shipping, another $230 for Northern Tools' pump system, lines, etc for hooking it up.So, for basically what you're paying for a larger replacement tank, you're now getting an additional 60 gallons PLUS your OEM tank. The tank that Northern Tool sells is made by RDS, and is a quality product.

cowboywildbill
09-20-2006, 11:08
There is a fair amount of space just behind the right side of the cab under the bed between the frame and outer skin of a dually. I wonder why someone hasn't designed an auxillary tank to mount there. I thought maybe because it is on the outside of the frame safety concerns, but big trucks have thier tanks hanging in the open with no protection. I know that the cost per gallon increase of the tanks is a negative, but it increased our range by over 200 miles towing and that is a big plus. As for the 8 gallons that doesn't get used I never realized that. On my initial fill up if my memory is correct, I pumped 63 gallons into the new tank. I have run it until I thought it was almost dry and it took around 58-60 gallons on those fill ups to top off. I would love a bigger tank, but don't want to give up the bed for it. It would be nice if they were cheaper.

upsguy
09-20-2006, 18:10
When I decided to purchase it, I wasn't looking at it from the cost per additional gallons point of view, I was looking at the convenience of not having to stop to refuel as often when towing TT. I drove my previous truck for 10 years and I plan on driving this truck for at least that long and I think it will be worth it to me over time. If I had a long bed truck, I probably would go with an inbed tank.

STPETEBLUE
09-20-2006, 22:07
There is a fair amount of space just behind the right side of the cab under the bed between the frame and outer skin of a dually. I wonder why someone hasn't designed an auxillary tank to mount there. I thought maybe because it is on the outside of the frame safety concerns, but big trucks have thier tanks hanging in the open with no protection.
I think everyone watched and learned from GM's "saddlebag" tank mistake. Cost them a chunk of change. I received a class action certificate towards purchase of a new GM because of my '84 GMC.

I doubt anyone will make a tank that hangs outside the frame rail in a "light duty" vehicle. But I've been wrong before.

cowboywildbill
09-21-2006, 05:16
I agree, But as strong as these aftermarket tanks are, I myself, wouldn't be to afraid of it hanging on the outside. I always wondered about the in bed tanks only being a few inches away from from a fifthwheel or gooseneck hitch. In a good hit where the frame and bed are bent, I have seen the trailer and hitch fold up enough to possibly have hit an in bed tank if one had been in place. Upsguy, I think you will be happy with the added range. It takes the worry about making a little farther to get good fuel. It seemed like before we had our tank installed we were always on the verge of running out of fuel trying to make it to the next exit if you know what I mean.

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2006, 09:45
While the added range is a strong point, the bottom of the tank is the same size. Empty is empty. If you were hunting for a fuel station running on fumes before, a larger capacity won't change anything. The only thing that will change is how often you go "hunting". The only way around that problem is to change your habit.

FBJR
09-21-2006, 13:48
I was checking with www.Aerotanks.com and they said a new in bed, above the wheel well tank is due out. It will be about 18 gallons and still allow full use of the bed for for 4x8's and such. It will be top fill and fit either side.

They said it would be about $275 or $500 if you want right and left. Nothing is on the site yet, but they said pics will be up soon.

This may fill that little void many of us have been looking for without voiding the pocket to much :D

This is just what I have been looking for and if the fill is in the back I can fill it with the shell still on. I would have liked a little more capacity but having 44 gallons will sure be nice!

FB

WhiteMax
09-21-2006, 23:28
While the added range is a strong point, the bottom of the tank is the same size. Empty is empty. If you were hunting for a fuel station running on fumes before, a larger capacity won't change anything. The only thing that will change is how often you go "hunting". The only way around that problem is to change your habit.

That's exactly what I thought until people on this or the DP forum found otherwise and verified it with the manufacturer. That is exactly why I asked my initial question of whether it has been fixed or not.

Edit: Maybe you weren't posting regarding what I am talking about. If so then sorry... It has been discussed that the replacement tanks are built such that they leave about 8 gallons in the tank once you start sucking air.

DmaxMaverick
09-22-2006, 00:27
That's exactly what I thought until people on this or the DP forum found otherwise and verified it with the manufacturer. That is exactly why I asked my initial question of whether it has been fixed or not.

Edit: Maybe you weren't posting regarding what I am talking about. If so then sorry... It has been discussed that the replacement tanks are built such that they leave about 8 gallons in the tank once you start sucking air.

Ummm....

The only thing I meant was if you are in the habit of looking for fuel while you are running on fumes already, a larger capacity won't fix it. You will still be hunting for fuel on fumes, just less frequently with a larger capacity. The only fix for that is to break the habit. Like....never letting the fuel level get below 1/4 or so, no matter what your actual capacity is. I've been guilty of that many times...."The next town has to have something better...." I try to fuel at around 1/4 tank when traveling, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. More onboard fuel would not have changed a thing. I would have just been lookin' somewhere else, further down the line.

Having "X" unusable gallons left in the tank would not be a bad thing, as long as the rest of the tank is as advertised. Another thing that comes to mind is the design, or forced design (you can't always choose your environment), in that the bottom of the tank may not be friendly with your current orientation to level. The only way around that would be to have a CLUNK at the end of your fuel pick-up. A clunk is a weighted end on a flexible fuel line that will follow the fuel, according to gravity. This is a common part of a chainsaw or airplane (model or full scale aerobatic) fuel tank/cell. It will allow the chainsaw (or airplane) to operate in any orientation without a disruption in fuel supply. In any case, I don't think 8 gallons is a fair amount of the claim. That's a lot of fuel, and I don't think they (the tank manufacturer) would allow that much of an oversight. There could (very likely) be more to that story.

cowboywildbill
09-22-2006, 07:01
I agree, I'm not really in the habit of running low, but I pushed the envelope a few times trying to get a feel on how much I could go on the new tank as opposed to the stock one and trying to judge how much fuel was left verses the guage reading. A lot of times when I did get down to a 1/4 on the stock tank The good clean and or cheaper priced fuel was always just a little too far. I found it a lot more convienent with the 56 gallon and didn't have to bite my fingernails worrying if I could make it to the next place instead of stopping somewhere that I would be worried about the quality of the fuel.

upsguy
09-22-2006, 17:53
It seems to me that more gallons = more miles between fillups, whether you stop when its on 1/4 tank or on E.

a5150nut
09-23-2006, 21:07
With my old 74 gasser, I had a 50 gal tank in the bed of the truck. Shure came in handy during the gas rationing in the 70's. Then there was all those trips up and down Hwy 395 from So Cal to Susanville late at nite. There weren't any stations open except San Bernadino, Victorvil, Bishop, and Reno.

One trip I made with a friend and we stopped in Bishop and his 15 gal duels took 18 and 22 gal each. When he complained, the attendent told him "He could park his truck right over there. The manager would be back on Tueasday." I always waved at that station as i passed by................

Just goes to show, a lot can be said for "Capasity".

a5150nut
09-23-2006, 21:09
With my old 74 gasser, I had a 50 gal tank in the bed of the truck. Shure came in handy during the gas rationing in the 70's. Then there was all those trips up and down Hwy 395 from So Cal to Susanville late at nite. There weren't any stations open except San Bernadino, Victorvil, Bishop, and Reno.

One trip I made with a friend and we stopped in Bishop and his 15 gal duels took 18 and 22 gal each. When he complained, the attendent told him "He could park his truck right over there. The manager would be back on Tueasday." I always waved at that station as i passed by................

I could even drive arround Susanville all weekend and stop for gas in Reno where it was $0.10 a gallon cheaper for the trip home!

Just goes to show, a lot can be said for "Capasity".

Idle_Chatter
09-25-2006, 04:56
I've had a 40 gallon aux (32 usable) in the bed of my truck since Dec of 2001 (bought the truck in October of that year). With the shortbed OEM of 26 gallons (24 usable) it sure has extended my range and added some much appreciated flexibility on fueling decisions on the highway. There are many times that I've been able to swap tanks and make it "over the line" to realize substantial fuel cost savings. It's also very comforting to drive until the "low fuel" light comes on and know that I have another 24 or 32 gallons on-board just a toggle switch away and I don't have to "bite the bullet" and pay a premium price just to stay off the shoulder.

More Power
12-02-2006, 15:15
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/SEMAproducts02.jpg

I visited the Transfer-Flow booth at this year's SEMA. As has been mentioned earlier, the 26 gallon fuel tanks just do not have enough capacity. It isn't too bad when running solo at 18-20 mpg, but not when towing at 12-mpg.

What do you guys think about their "GM Pickup Midship Fuel Tanks"? Are they durable and reliable longterm? These tanks stick below the frame rails by 1". Is this a problem for either appearance or debris risk?

I'm leaning more toward an in-bed tank that fits below the roll-top cover box at the front of the bed. That space is more or less unusable anyway. Then use an electric transfer pump to transfer fuel into the main tank. No tank switcher is involved this way...

Jim

Mitchagain1953
12-18-2006, 13:32
Here is my solution to the 26 gallon tanks on the '02 Extended Cab with the short box.... 24 gallons each.... BTW the NTHSA broadside crash test is 15 mph at a line parallel to the tops of the wheel wells. I think this is the answer to all concerns.... at least its my answer!

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/mitchagain/Running%20Board%20Tank/

ISEEDIT
12-20-2006, 20:22
check out this site - this could work, too bad they cost so much. http://www.tourbuddy.com/gmtruck.shtml http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11641

Kennedy
12-29-2006, 06:52
http://www.supertanks.com/gm.html

Poly for long life and won't attract your lubricity additives.

You guys are using additive right?

Mitchagain
01-12-2007, 17:42
Ok, guys, a "problemchild" I aint with a camera! As it stands now, we need to move the tanks out away from the frame about 3/4", that'll give my wafe just a tad more landing space where her foot lands on the diamond plate. Other than that, its a done deal. Hook up the fuel lines, vents lines, mount the pump/filter, finish out the fill spouts, mount the switch inside, and these are done. Sounds like a lot, but I think an afternoon and a 12 pack!

Feast your eyes on the "Million Dollar Fuel Tanks"
the building of them
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...0Board%20Tank/
the finished product
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...nk%20-%20Done/

Mitchagain
01-13-2007, 10:04
beginning....
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/mitchagain/Running%20Board%20Tank/

Almost the end
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/mitchagain/Running%20Board%20Tank%20-%20Done/

Petrella
01-25-2007, 20:43
when you purchase a new 52 gallon tank from say...Transfer flow, will your fuel gauge be accurate, and will the range, and fuel economy still work properly on the DIC?

Anthony

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
06 LBZ CC SB 4x4