PDA

View Full Version : inspecting 6.6

dieselwax
09-13-2006, 09:30
Gentlemen, I'm new to diesels and looking at a 2003 6.6 auto w/82K on the odometer. I've searched for inspection/problem issues specific w/o any luck.
Could you guys help how I should go about inspecting it for purchase? THx for your help - only fools rush in!

ToddMeister
09-13-2006, 11:51
Check all fluid levels, make sure oil level is not above full and does not smell like diesel fuel.

Make sure trans fluid is bright red and not burnt.

Check air filter condition.

Maintenance records should be available, make sure regular maintenance items were performed. Find out when fuel filter was last changed.

Start truck and idle should be smooth with no smoke.

Test drive truck, make sure tranny shifts are smooth.

On a hard run a bit of smoke might be visible, but should not be excessive (unless a chip/program is installed)

Check tires for even treadwear.

Inspect underneath truck for oil/antifreeze leaks.

Inspect front end, look at grease zerks, if they are rusted up front end lube may be lacking.

Inspect axle/transfer case/tranny seals for leakage.

Inspect brakes/check pad life remaining.

What did I miss?

dieselwax
09-13-2006, 12:46
Todd, Thanks for the response. I appreciate your time. I'm ok with the rest of the mechanicals - just knowledge shy on the diesel part. Trying to get smart via the forum on these issues. Could'nt find a comprehesive inspection for the problems reported here in the forum.

chipper
09-13-2006, 13:33
Todd, Thanks for the response. I appreciate your time. I'm ok with the rest of the mechanicals - just knowledge shy on the diesel part. Trying to get smart via the forum on these issues. Could'nt find a comprehesive inspection for the problems reported here in the forum.

Post the VIN# here & someone will look up the factory records for you.