PDA

View Full Version : Ready to start tweaking 2005 LLY

Maxiboy
09-13-2006, 10:38
I have 23k miles on it and have done nothing mechanically. I need some advice on synthetics and what I can/should not do at this mileage. I have always been a strong believer in them and use them on my other gas vehicles.

I have read a fair amount on wheel/tire size changes and am now looking at the tuner/air intake/exhaust/gauges options which will likely be my first mods.

I need pointers (other than reading every post on the forum) as to how to logically assess other options (filters etc.)

Any brief pointers will be much appreciated. I will proceed to read all the stickies.

cowboywildbill
09-14-2006, 03:19
Gauges and an edge box or tune and a good aftermarket auxillary fuel filter system And maybe a 4" exhaust, if you don't mind a little extra noise. If you run the power at the safe levels that are recomended for the application, you shouldn't have any problems. You will love the difference and it shouldn't hurt your mpg. A deep pan and and refill with transynd or torque shift transmission fluid. There are a lot of previous post and links for the other synthetic fluids to use. These trucks are a lot of fun, I enjoy tweaking our trucks up more than I did doing our Harley's.
Enjoy pimping your ride.. Also don't forget to run a good fuel additive.

jsmiracle
09-14-2006, 09:03
I have an almost identical truck as you, I think. Feel free to ask me about any mods in my signature. I've installed all of them myself.

Jim M.

Maxiboy
09-14-2006, 18:30
Thanks for quick responses. I will not ask too many questions until I have read extensively, but here are a couple that might guide me:
I am under the impression that a tuner w/monitor/exhaust/air intake is a good first step.
1. Regarding the tuner - at first I was leaning toward Bullydog (ease of install etc.) but I was told the Edge is the "safest" - I guess to avoid getting into tranny problems etc. Is it mostly feeding cables and drilling exhaust manifold? or do some require "professional" install?
I saw a matrix of models somewhere but I know it's probably a Ford/Chevy type issue. I am not looking to "hot rod" it but make it a nice non-stock "mini beast" over time.
2. I guess gauge requirement depends on monitor features? EGT seems to be a key issue.
3. I am considering the Corsa. I really like the write ups on it and the sound it seems to produce (assuming web sound is realistic).
4. The AFE seems to be a respectable Air solution but I must admit to needing to read more.

Other - I will swat up on synthetics. I am familiar with Amsoil. Is there any need to flush or just change filters and go?

The Fumoto drain valve is interesting.

jsmiracle
09-14-2006, 18:58
Tuner - As you see in my sig, I use Superchips. I have not found it to be very popular here, but I like it. I used one on my previous '99 Silverado and performed wonderfully. It is very easy to install and uninstall. It also helped me identify and clear codes set in other mod installs, especially on the '05 Siverado D/A.

I believe there is an article(s) with installation steps here on TDP on the Edge programmer.

Guages - I highly recommend them. I have a EGT/Turbo Boost dual setup on the A-pillar. I like being able to monitor them during towing and after mod installations. There is a great article on TDP with pictures. I am not sure if membership is required to view it.

Air Intake - I bought a K&N FIPK about a year ago, but never installed it. I got nervous about possibly shortening engine longevity with the possible introduction of additional "dirt" with the intake system. I do have a Uni Foam air filter installed.

I use Amsoil, exclusively. I did not "flush" the engine when switching to synthetic engine oil. I did not feel the need, but maybe someone else may say different.

I consider myself a beginner/intermediate level mechanic/tinkerer and I found all of the installs fairly straight-forward. This page is an excellent source of knowledge and experience.

Good luck and enjoy it all,:)
Jim M.

carco
09-16-2006, 17:31
I like the Edge w/ Attitude, there may be a better unit out there now but this works well for pulling up to 15000# gooseneck occasionally. A good addition to that would be a boost stick, brings up turbo pressure thereby reduceing exh smoke turning that wasted fuel into more power!! Very easy installs, very responsive, smooth engine manners. HTH bob..............

WhiteMax
09-16-2006, 18:16
If you going to install a pyrometer then I would look into the BD exhaust manifold as it comes with a hole pre-tapped in it for the sender. It's 300 bucks but if I was in your shoes I would get it. I will be getting one but I already drilled a spot for mine. Good luck.

Here's a link...

http://www.bd-power.com/gmc/product.php?pn=BD%20Duramax%20Manifold&tt=gmc