PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about checking rear end fluid level

upsguy
09-14-2006, 17:55
The manual says the rear axle should be supported in order to get an accurate read on rear end fluid level. I've never heard this before. I'm assuming this simply means the wheels should be on the ground, as opposed to being jacked up. Is this correct or did my daddy not teach me right?

cowboywildbill
09-15-2006, 10:09
Your correct. I think what they are refering to is if the truck is on a lift and it is supported by the frame, where the wheels are hanging. Then you would need to support the axel back up to it's loaded hieght, like it would be if the truck was sitting on level ground. When a vehicle is lifted by the frame and the wheels are hanging, it can chage the driveline angles, just like some lift kits do. And the rears tend to hang down with the plug tilted lower toward the backside and can give an inaccurate reading. Basically the truck needs to be level as most of us are on a creeper working on the ground and don't have a lift. I use four ramps all the same type. That gets the truck off the ground and keeps it level. Hope that helps. Hey there aren't any dumb questions. I ask a lot of them myself, it sure saves time and money doing it right the first time. I'm just an old has been mechanic trying to stay up on this stuff. There are so many techs on here that answer our questions and give such great advice. In my opinion they are the cream of the crop.This forum is worth it's weight in gold. Good luck. PS where is my package, it was supposed to be next day air? Just kidding! Have a great weekend.