PDA

View Full Version : excessive start up smoke

farmboy1989
09-14-2006, 19:24
I have a 94 6.5 F engine with the 5068 pump that puts out excessive white smoke.It is raw unburnt fuel smoke that that it is putting out, not from water or coolant.This truck doesnt have a catalytic converter or egr valve. It only does this when you start it after it has set for 2 hours or more.It seems to start well though.
It puts out a ton of smoke so bad that it fogs you out and it takes 4-5 min for it to clear up.The most recent thing i did was had the mechanic time the pump.Things i have done that are not in order are :
1.replaced all glow plugs and check to make sure they work
2.checked injectors and verifyed them good for both popoff pressure and spray pattern
3.changed fuel filter
4.changed oil pressure switch and made sure the lift pump was working
5.had the brand new injection pump checked and verifyed good by a stanadyne shop
6. had a gm mechanic set the injection pump timing
7. replaced the timing chain and crankshaft and cam keys
8. replaced all plastic retaining buttons on the rocker arms
9. replaced the coolant temp sensor, engine temp sensor,and intake air temp sensor
10. replaced the thermostat with an oem 195 degree one
11. replaced the return lines on the injectors
12. replaced the fuel feed line from the filter to the injection pump
13. i checked the compression and my worst cylinder was 320 and the best being in the 360 range.
14. i have put fresh fuel in it
15. replaced the ecm in the glove box.
16. checked all the fuses in the fuse box and checked the fuses on the firewall
17.replaced the crankshaft position sensor
With all of this done i am still getting terrible smoke on start up, what gives?

Bnave95
09-15-2006, 02:10
And the glow plugs are?
Are you sure your getting power to the plugs? Fuseable link on wires OK?
Try RJ methed of wiring for longer glow time.
You have stayed with this Eng. by now when other's would of given up :D

farmboy1989
09-15-2006, 16:46
I unplugged the coolant temp sensor in the crossover pipe and it started better and the smoke cleared up quicker. So we plugged it back it and it started smoking heavy again and the weak cylinder went back to missing a little. So i unplugged it again and could really hear the timing advance a lot and the smoke cleared up in a hurry and my weak cylinder quit missing.So what could be causing the problem. Could a guy wire up a switch to this sensor and turn it off for start and warm up and flip it back on when it gets to 170 degrees or so?

Bnave95
09-16-2006, 01:50
Than go back to number 6;)
Have the timing number verifide. The pump is wanting more advance. I would bump the pump to driver side and check the start up.

Bnave95
09-16-2006, 01:53
I unplugged the coolant temp sensor in the crossover pipe and it started better and the smoke cleared up quicker. So we plugged it back it and it started smoking heavy again and the weak cylinder went back to missing a little. So i unplugged it again and could really hear the timing advance a lot and the smoke cleared up in a hurry and my weak cylinder quit missing.So what could be causing the problem. Could a guy wire up a switch to this sensor and turn it off for start and warm up and flip it back on when it gets to 170 degrees or so?
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/FastIdleSetup.html
This might help?