PDA

View Full Version : New September Articles!

More Power
09-15-2006, 09:58
Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/bmsfc.htm)
Power, Load & RPM
How do these factors affect diesel fuel economy?

We've been telling folks for years that, in general, a diesel engine produces its best fuel economy when run at or near the RPM that coincides with its torque peak. This past June, we actually dyno tested a new 6.5L fuel economy engine while using Peninsular Diesel's calibrated fuel metering and engine dynamometer system, in hopes of confirming that fact. Go here to learn more!

Clean Diesel, Clean Air
What do the 2007 emissions regulations mean for the future of diesel? (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/dtforumMT.htm)

Reducing emissions components found in diesel exhaust is not without its share of engineering challenges and increased cost. While some fear for the future of the light-truck diesel market, we here at The Diesel Page remain optimistic - in fact, confident that the current trend in light-truck diesel usage will continue. Go here to find out what we'll need to know and how the new fuel and emissions requirements will affect all of us.

WhiteMax
09-19-2006, 06:58
That clean air article appears to be a year ahead of it's time. :D

Edit: Callifornia Dept. of Transportation (Cal-Trans) Has purchased and has been using a PM exhaust system made by Cummins West out of Sacramento. I found every vehicle that I tested for PM to have a reading of zero with these systems. That's the future, and as always there is a downside. The systems were very expensive. (which will change hopefully when the numbers increase) They needed diesel injected into them to make them fire off. (less MPG) The trucks they were installed on were always getting low power complaints. (a product of choking the exhaust) At the time, the cost of cleaning out the unit was said to be 500 bucks and will go up if it becomes labled Hazmat material. (Possibly workable in fleets but no good at the consumer level) I had a negative feeling toward at the intorduction of this, but in the end, seeing the zero PM results, my attitude has changed. Most technologies have problems and set backs in their infancy, and like most technologies this will grow out of it. I think something we need to prepare for mentally is that future vehicles with this installed will have more power output but that output will be consumed by this new technology so even though you have more power you won't feel it in the seat of your pants. I also wonder what the states are going to do about those of us that have chipped our rides and roll black smoke and PM when we hammer the throttle. It's something to think about the next time your next to a convertable at a stoplight and get that "watch this" thought.

More Power
09-19-2006, 09:16
In the near term, smokers will see a decline in tolerance on the street and at the track. Tracks are beginning to balk at hosting a diesel event, and there is already talk of limiting tailpipe smoke to 20% opacity.

I've heard that CARB is developing new emissions testing equipment for on-highway diesels that'll begin use in CA in 2007, then spread across the country. :( The future of diesel is to be as clean as gas. Adapt & overcome...

Jim

ronniejoe
09-19-2006, 09:50
My question is this: Is this all really necessary? Haven't we done enough with emissions controls? The people pushing this won't stop until all modern forms of transportation are eliminated...except for themselves.

WhiteMax
09-19-2006, 10:08
Well Ronnie.... You have to ask yourself as I have. Did the emissions work on gas back in the day bring us anything positive? From your post I beleive your answer would be yes. Yet, back in the day it was considered very bad and the death to gas engines. Lifespans actually doubled on the engine, but I won't give emissions all the credit for it.

It's similiar to what we have with diesel today. I will agree going thru it that it's a total pain in the ass but we will hopefully see the good of it down the road.

What bothers me about it is on the gas side at the moment. Who cares what is under the hood or on the exhaust if the tailpipe is clean? That's where the government oversteps their place as far as I am concerned. As long as the pipe is clean and the evap is in good order, the rest shouldn't matter, but let them find a part without a CARB number and it doesn't matter if your driving the cleanest running rig in the world. You fail.

ronniejoe
09-20-2006, 04:51
The people pushing this won't stop until all modern forms of transportation are eliminated...except for themselves.

Back to my point...

More Power
09-20-2006, 09:53
I've seen reports on air quality for areas like the LA basin, NYC, and others, comparing air quality now to what it was 10 or more years ago. Is the daily/monthly average air quality better in these areas?

I can remember vividly a trip we took from Berkeley to LA in early January 1990. The air quality was so bad as we neared Bakersfield that my instincts were to turn around and drive back to MT. The thick brown haze that laid ahead was the worst I'd seen - anywhere, then or since.

Jim

trbankii
09-21-2006, 09:33
Where you are living is definitely an issue. Around here the traffic, congestion, and everything else has seemed to double every few years. Given that, reducing emissions is hardly a bad thing. But if you're someplace where you stand on your front porch and shoot your gun off in random directions with no chance of hitting anyone (just a phrase, don't get riled up!) then the emissions regulations may seem to be a bit much...

Just my $0.02...

More Power
09-21-2006, 10:07
Missoula, Montana is also affected by air polution, mostly in the winter due to air inversions (high atmospheric pressures & cold temps). The city lays in a valley surrounded by hills that tend to trap bad air. Federal air quality standards are something the city has worked hard to meet, and have invested in an infrastructure to help monitor the situation. According to the seminar I attended, diesel soot contributes about 35% of the particulate total during the inversion months. I think I-90 running through the city and its truck traffic are largely responsible.

During the seminar, Caterpillar donated 34 diesel exhaust catalyst and DPF filter systems to the city for installation on city buses. This represents about a $34,000 contribution. Retrofit systems are becoming popular for municipalities all across the country, that help older diesels meet later emissions standards.

Jim

WhiteMax
09-21-2006, 23:35
I had a teacher in a college auto class tell me that the air coming out of an OBDII exhaust was cleaner then the air in L.A. That would mean the cars driving there are actually cleaning the air by running...:rolleyes:

2tough2park
09-23-2006, 13:28
[QUOTE=More Power]In the near term, smokers will see a decline in tolerance on the street and at the track. Tracks are beginning to balk at hosting a diesel event, and there is already talk of limiting tailpipe smoke to 20% opacity.

I'll remember that next time I'm behind a tractor trailer.

SoTxPollock
09-25-2006, 10:23
Ronniejoe, I think(IMHO)we can never have air that is too clean. If you've been to Alaska, you know what I mean, and I've flown into LA before and watched how dark the cabin got as we decended through the cloud of smog. Have done the same in Mexico City, pollution is awful. Yesterday I was driving back from a family get together and came up behind an old 65 ford fairlane that looked like it had just come across the Mexican border that day. The smell was so bad even with my AC on inside air, I finally passed going uphill across the yellow stripe, I just couldn't stand it my eyes were watering.
Haven't we done enough? That experience yesterday told me we have done a bunch, unfortunately the rest of the world hasn't. Right now as you probably know the study I read about said that asma had increased in our small children in America due to the winds blowing smog from China.
I just hope our Engineers are given the chance to clean things up and not do something stupit like they did with the compression drop of the engines back in the 70's. NO one can legislate new technology, it has to be Engineered. I hope by now our Government rep's have learned that lesson.

murphyslaw
09-25-2006, 10:52
*warning rant in progress*

Emissions will never stop we just need to get used to it. I lived in L.A for a long time and I now live BACK in Alaska. I will say that alaska isnt as desalite as everyone makes it out to be. also the eq program de have here in anchorage is stiffer then the one in L.A. We(anchorage) have been far under fed limits for a bit over ten years, are they letting up HELL NO, there expanding the program. I suspect that whithin the next 5 years we see diesels opacy testing as well as more programs. up here there is no rolling cut off date for emissions.the date is 1964. if u have a 1964 or newer vehicle it has to smog inorder to operate within the MOA.(manincipality of anchorage). if its 74 or older it is tailpipe only. if its newer then 74 then there is a visual inspection. If i forget to put on the hose that go's from the aircleaner housing to the grill they will fail me. We cannot run open element aircleaners(PERIOD). and unless the vehical had a manual choke we cannot use one. if we take our time to clean up an engine then go to have it im'd they will fail it and make you go to the refferie station where they will maticulisly pour over the engine and engine bay to figure out whether you have done any engine work, if you have then its the big fat red sticker. cause you hve no way to prove to them its an OE replacement or stock equ. unless you bought it complete. then you need lots of paperwork. I am in the middle of a gas-diesel convertion right now in the offroad machine that i built when I lived in Wa(was not required to im) cause there is no way in hell it will ever pass the visual let alone a pipe test.

in Wa there is a rolling cut off for emmisions its 25yrs or older. in alaska no rolling cut off what kinda BS is that.

*/rant*

dragonriot
10-13-2006, 00:03
I had a teacher in a college auto class tell me that the air coming out of an OBDII exhaust was cleaner then the air in L.A. That would mean the cars driving there are actually cleaning the air by running...:rolleyes:

He was right... and if the BioDiesel trend continues, we'll all be cleaning the air while we drive too... and don't worry about the future power outputs of diesel engines with the new emissions standards... BMW just dropped a 270hp/460lb-ft diesel car on the market, VWs V10 diesel Taureg is puting down amazing numbers, and more people in general are getting interested in diesel vehicles. I'm buying my wife a Passat TDI as soon as finances allow me to do so... she likes the car, and I love the diesel power, performance, and mileage.