PDA

View Full Version : Complete Coolant Change to DexCool--Express Van.

GMDiesel
09-15-2006, 13:40
The van has conventional coolant in it. Has to go. What is the best way to completely clean and remove coolant and prepare it for Dex-Cool. Are the Prestone kits that hook up to a heater hose any good. Cleaning agents? Are there drain plugs located on the block to remove all the coolant? Thanks

ejk2352
09-15-2006, 20:10
You really want to change to Dex-Cool??? Most the shops around here are going back to the Green stuff. I have seen Dex-Cool with less than 50,000 miles that has turned to goo. I wouldn't do it!!! Stick w/ the old Green Ethanol/Glycol and change it every 2-3 years.

Bnave95
09-16-2006, 01:33
You really want to change to Dex-Cool??? Most the shops around here are going back to the Green stuff. I have seen Dex-Cool with less than 50,000 miles that has turned to goo. I wouldn't do it!!! Stick w/ the old Green Ethanol/Glycol and change it every 2-3 years.
I will also agree. Do you have a reason?

GMDiesel
09-16-2006, 21:29
It's whats advised in the owner's manual. Other than shorter life of coolant and water pump in addition to silicates and phosphates, is there any other reason to switch to conventional coolant?