PDA

View Full Version : valvoline oil/chevy diesels?

Keith Richards
01-05-2004, 16:00
I was changing the oil and fuel filter the other day and looking through the diesel supplement,realized I may be using an oil thats not good for my truck.It is valvoline 15w40 and it does not show cg-4 rating as per the supplement.I have been using this for a year and a half with no ill effects but wil switch to shell rotella which has the proper rating.Have I made a huge mistake and does the oil need to be replaced immediately?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

diesel65
01-05-2004, 17:44
Read us the specs you see on the label, currently the latest rating is CI-4 and Ford specifies this oil for the new P.S. 6.0 liter.
CG-4 is an older rating, but using any oil with a newer rating than CG-4 is acceptable.

moondoggie
01-06-2004, 05:12
Good Day!

You probably already knew this, but the first letter (C or S) is for the type of engine the oil is rated for: C is for compression ignition engines (our diesels), S is for spark ignition engines (gas). Don't use ANY oil that doesn't have a C rating.

The second letter keeps going up as they improve the oils. My old 82 6.2 only asked for CD rated oil.

Your post didn't include what the rating on the Valvoline you've been using is. That would have been most helpful.

You may also want to click "my profile" & include a profile with your posts - most of us do. You can include what diesels you own in this profile, then when you post in the future we don't have to guess what vehicle you're talking about. smile.gif

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

C.K. Piquup
01-10-2004, 06:10
I has always helped me knowing this millionare that still owns and loves his`82Blazer.When asked if he`s had any problems with it,he replies"If I did,do you think I`d still be driving it?"But now,to know a major'Rock Star`owns a GM diesel,"WOW"!!!Hey,sorry Keith,it bet you get that alot.I`m serious about the millionare,though.Glad to here your oil`s ok.

C.K. Piquup
01-10-2004, 06:11
How do you spell "it"?

Keith Richards
01-10-2004, 16:42
Thanks for the input.I think I'll stick with the same oil I've been using since the rating seems okay. It says API services ci-4,ch-4'cf-4,cf/sl. Please reply if this isn't good.I'ts a 98 6.5 2500hd.And no I'm not the real "KEEF" just a stones freak.Thanks again.