PDA

View Full Version : turns over, but wont start!

gsroseberry
09-15-2006, 14:26
hi, i purchased a 98 3500 silverado from my brother in law a month ago. the truck ran great untill i whent to start it one day. it fired up fine, but only ran for about 30 seconds before shutting off. after trying several times to get it to fire it finnaly started but once again shut off after about 30 seconds. after repeated attempts since then, the truck will turn over but will not run. i have checked and the engine is getting fuel and turning over easily. i am new to owning a diesel so im not sure what else to check. glow plugs perhaps? :confused: any ideas? HELP!

Robyn
09-15-2006, 14:56
May be the PMD has gone south. ( The little black box on the left side of the IP)
When its running do you get a check engine light?? if so you need to get the codes.
Robyn

gsroseberry
09-15-2006, 16:47
the service engine soon light is on (according to my brother in law whom i bought the truck from, it has been on for years without any trouble). i forgot to mention earlier that when the truck was running, a great deal of white smoke was coming from the exhaust. also the second time i got it to fire, it would run as long as i was giving it gas. as soon as i let off the throttle it died and hasnt run since

tommac95
09-15-2006, 21:20
well ... eventually need determine if the problem is mechanical wear, fuel delivery, or electric issue.

A compression test addresses most relevant mech probs.

A fuel delivery + pressure test at filter hsg drain checks fuel supply to FuelInjectionPump; cracking injector union nuts checks output near injectors.

"Start, stall" likely LP related. White smoke at start could be fuel(unburnt) or coolant in cyls. Glow plugs need to work for a clean startup.

And, if all above OK , the high pressure FIP, and its FSD/PMD could be at fault. Most find reading the diagnostic trouble codes are a wondereful first step....

Keep a check-off list of tests performed. How many miles on engine? What is its' maintenance record like??

gsroseberry
09-16-2006, 08:47
Thanks, i will go and get the codes read soon. i heard that these engines needed a special type of scannner (tpye II, i think?) do any of you know if this is true?

rjwest
09-16-2006, 10:16
obd2 is 96 and newer,
some cheap scan tools do not read all the GM diesel codes...

You realy need to review all the older posts, there is
a ton of info on the site...