PDA

View Full Version : First post; new 6.5 owner

Zeke's Dad
09-16-2006, 13:56
Hi, everyone;
I've been contemplating a diesel vehicle for about 3 years, and finally took the plunge. I purchased a 1997 Suburban 1500 4 X 4 with a 6.5 liter turbo. I've been looking on Ebay, Craig's List, etc., and finally found one about a mile from my house. The body is in perfect condition, interior is good, and there's just a little surface rust on the chasis. I've driven it off-road and on the highway and everything works fine. I love it! It was priced right, and there were other buyers in the wings. I didn't have an opportunity to have a diesel mechanic evaluate it until after I purchased it, but after a he gave it a preliminary inspection, he gave it 2 thumbs up. I'm glad I'm finally part of the diesel community!

Robyn
09-16-2006, 15:15
Welcome to the forum
Glad to have you on board ;0)

1999GMC
09-17-2006, 08:55
Right on. Glad to hear it. I haven't regretted buying my truck once. I actually called on a 94 suburban with a 6.5L last week that had a blown headgasket or cracked head. I really like them. I sold my 350 Suburban to get my truck, and now wish I had a suburban also. I like the truck for having the dogs. But miss the suburban when family visits.

Zeke's Dad
09-17-2006, 12:26
I thought about getting a pickup, but it really makes more sense to me to have an SUV body. I want a vehicle I can drive long distances and carry a lot of gear that can be locked up securely out of the rain. It's really amazing how few were ever offered (at least in this country) and how scarce they are. Ford dropped the Excursion, and GM quit selling the diesel Tahoes and Suburbans in '99. Dodge for some reason has never brought out a diesel SUV and Toyota has sold diesel versions of the Land Cruiser all over the world for decades. (Full disclosure: I own 2 vintage Cruisers and contemplated a diesel conversion, but finally decided to get a vehicle built as a diesel SUV from the ground up.) It's kind of amazing to me how they could overlook a whole market segment like that. Judging by this board and others there's a rather sizable group of diesel fanatics out there.

ZZ
09-17-2006, 12:55
I'm sure the manufacturers would have built more for us like the rest of the world if it wasn't for the ignorance of the EPA.

ZZ takes a deep breath and shuts up.

Zeke's Dad
09-18-2006, 10:16
I think that's right. I was in Ireland this summer and saw all kinds of diesels including Fords.