PDA

View Full Version : transmission warrantee - 5sp.

HH
09-17-2006, 07:06
I had my NV4500 transmission rebuilt in early July. I pulled it and brought it to a large truck shop. It was grinding from 2 - 3 (first gear being low gear), and it was making some low level grinding noises. They found the syncros were bad, the dampner on the back of the transmission was loose, ad the main shaft was worn. They said they will replace all the syncros and get a new nut for the dampner, new main shaft, and replace any other small worn parts. I stated I wanted this to be done right because I did not want to have to pull this again in the next 100k.

I drove the truck not more than 100 miles and was not able to put it into low gear. I was towing a boat at the time. Also the transmisson was making a ticking noise in OD. Brought the truck back to the shop for it to be fixed. They agreed to pull the transmission and look at it. The low syncro was broken, and the mechanic thought the 5th gear shaft looked a little worn and may be causing the ticking noise, and replaced it and the gear.

I was then able to use low gear, but the ticking noise was not gone and the transmission would pop out of 5th gear, and the trans was much noiser than ever before. I did not drive the truck more than 20 miles when it popped out the first time. Brought it back again, they installed a 5th gear syncro kit.

It appears to work now, but I have not driven it enough to see if it pops out of gear, but it is quieter.

The shop wants me to pay for the parts. They will eat the labor. I explained that neither of the symptoms of not being able to engage it into low and it poping out of 5th gear were there until their mechanic worked on it. Also it was my undertanding they were replacing ALL the syncros in the first rebuild. I have my truck and have not paid yet.

I was never given any quotes as to any costs. I even asked if I would have to pay for anything, the service advisor said they needed to look at it.

Would you expect this to be covered under warrantee? How would you handle? They want me to pay close to $800.

Hubert
09-18-2006, 06:51
Do you have reciepts and or invoice records for any of this transaction? Any for lube and or other small parts you might have used in installing it? Have you paid any or part of invoice. Is the invoice itemized?

If not Ask for 2 itemized invoices.

Be cool talk to them be friendly and simply state your arguement then hand them a letter with a timeline of facts only as you see them with a copy of invoice (check or reciept too) attached.

Something like this:

Shop instructions:
You were to rebuild my transmission "right" to new or better condition to last 100K miles.

I assume this bill was paid in full? If not I think you have to pay this bill unless you know there are still problems.

---------------------------------------------

It was near immediately suspect it was not fixed or rebuilt correctly.

End of timeline

2nd rebuild should be on shop.

I had my NV4500 transmission rebuilt in early July.

They found the syncros were bad, the dampner on the back of the transmission was loose, ad the main shaft was worn. They said they will replace all the syncros and get a new nut for the dampner, new main shaft, and replace any other small worn parts.

I stated I wanted this to be done right because I did not want to have to pull this again in the next 100k.

I drove the truck not more than 100 miles and was not able to put it into low gear. Also the transmisson was making a ticking noise in OD.

This is a little muddy just curious why did it take 100 miles to tell it would not go into 1st gear? I have heard shops say on fresh manual/clutch work to drive it a bit and see if it loosens up was this the case? Did they give any instructions on break in or other when you picked up the transmission after 1st rebuild? Did it drive ok initially but only last 100 miles?

Brought the truck back to the shop for it to be fixed. They agreed to pull the transmission and look at it. The low syncro was broken, and the mechanic thought the 5th gear shaft looked a little worn and may be causing the ticking noise, and replaced it and the gear.

The shop wants me to pay for the parts. They will eat the labor. I explained that neither of the symptoms of not being able to engage it into low and it poping out of 5th gear were there until their mechanic worked on it. Also it was my undertanding they were replacing ALL the syncros in the first rebuild. I have my truck and have not paid yet.

The shop should be able to get a refund on the low gear synchro (the part they bought) you should not have to pay.

Hopefully invoice is itemized I would not pay for any 2nd rebuild parts replaced that were done in 1st rebuild (synchros etc). Depending on service I might negotiate some payment for other parts on 2nd rebuild but ONLY partial payment because If they were suspect they should have been replaced the 1st time and time is money you should be credited some compensation due to mistake on first rebuild.

I would want to know or see the shops actual bill for parts and negotiate from that price not the marked up price they charge you for parts too.

If there were catastrophic failure of original parts out of control of the average shops capabilities to diagnose then you would be responsible for those parts or if you were negligent in maintenance or care but it doesn't read like that.

Let them counter argue and go from there. Get things in writing and keep records.

HH
09-18-2006, 16:57
I paid for the rebuild when I picked up the transmission. After the third rebuild, they gave me a second invoice and stated they would eat the labor and I could pay the parts.

Low gear worked fine when I reinstalled the trans. I used it. I was towing a boat on the highway and when I got off the highway I was unable to put it into low. Yes it drove fine initially. Actually I thought everything was great, the trans was quieter than it ever was, other than the little ticking noise in OD when I let off the fuel.

No break-in instructions. I am a pretty mellow driver.

They explained that the low gear syncro was broken, and that they had not replaced it in the initial rebuild. I was surprised. I said, I had thought we were replacing all the syncros. The shop cannot get a refund, because they did not replace the syncro, their decision. I feel I should not have to pay for a second rebuild kit, because their mechanic did not install it the first time. They also replaced the 5th gear shaft on the second rebuild to try and elminate the ticking noise.

Third rebuild was due to 5th gear OD popping out and noisy OD gear after 2nd rebuild. They R & Rd trans for 2nd and 3rd rebuild.

Transmission had no problems with low gear or OD (noise and pop out) before rebuild.

There was NO catastrophic failure or accusation of abuse.

People wonder why I do things myself!!! Not because I am cheap.