PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking the 6.2

Tim Pringle
09-18-2006, 18:32
Hi All! I need to throw a few questions about some tuning & mods for a 6.2. I am seeking good "been there, done that" advice. Why the 6.2 instead of a 6.5 or Duramax? Because I have a freshly rebuilt 1982 6.2 in my shop that I think to be a very capable engine. Then there is that thing called "money".

If you want to really know the root of my insanity, check out my thread in the 6.2 forum "A really big swap". Yep, that's me. It was getting pretty long, and I am wanting to turn some wrenches & see what happens.

Now - 50 questions: (ok, not that many, really:) )

I will be pulling the heads to check things over, and make sure it really does have new pistons, and to port match those heads, and of course, while I am in there, to slick up those runners & bowls. I have to pull the heads & install it as a short block in my application anyway.

In Kennedy, they sell a stud kit, is this to help keep gaskets from blowing out?In mentioning gaskets, is Fel-pro the choice or is there something a little better?

Yes, I am planning to hang a 6.5 turbo on this engine. I have the complete setup from a donor engine that needs rebuilt (someday). I have been told that the stock boost is around 7psi. Is this correct? Banks says to keep it down below 10, if I read right. It is the old mechanical spring loaded wastegate, so no electronics to mess with.

Is the oil supply from the oil pressure sending unit port sufficient for the turbo? I have also heard mention of a high volume water pump. What application should I look for? Or, is this aftermarket?

Pumps - I have a HD pump for this setup, but have been advised to find a military spec pump. Any advice where to look or what to look for?

I think that should about do it for this go around. Look forward to hearing from you all!

Tim

wthif
09-18-2006, 19:07
Because I have a freshly rebuilt 1982 6.2 in my shop that I think to be a very capable engine.

Does the 82 engine still have the 82 heads? If so replace them with some from a 6.5 because the 82 has course thread injectors and you want head with fine thread injectors so you can make use of the better injectors and injector angle. You'll also need injector lines from a 6.5.

Is the oil supply from the oil pressure sending unit port sufficient for the turbo? I have also heard mention of a high volume water pump. What application should I look for? Or, is this aftermarket?

No I wouldn't use the oil pressure port for a feed line for the turbo. If you look down where the oil cooler lines exit the block you'll see where there is a pressurized plug. Use that I doubt the oil pressure port would supply enough oil.

I know you have more questions, but I'm going to let others answer those.

DLang
09-18-2006, 21:19
so, if someone is going to enhance one of these engines, what other options should be considered, and roughly how much are they?

I saw a mention of a stud girdle kit to strengthen the bottom end.

I think I saw a mention of a gear-driven timeing set to replace the chain.

what else?

JeepSJ
09-19-2006, 09:00
Here's my take on a few of the things you asked about...

Head studs - I like them. I'm using the ARP studs. They provide better clamping force than the stock bolts.

Head gaskets - Felpro are good. There is also a particular stock gasket that the guys here seem to like.

Stud girdle - I think any 6.2/6.5 that is going to get a turbo should use the girdle.

Timing gears - also a very good idea.