PDA

View Full Version : Just spent life savings

upsguy
09-18-2006, 19:37
Just ordered mag-hytec diff cover and tranny pan and transfer flow 45 gal. replacement tank. I'll have mag-hytec stuff here by this weekend to install. I don't know yet when the fuel tank will arrive.

These installs look pretty straight forward, but does anybody have any advice
that I might need to know.

cowboywildbill
09-18-2006, 21:18
Hi, If you run most of the fuel out of the stock tank it will be easier to drop down. Make sure your new tank is clean inside, mine was dirty when it arrived.
You will need a set of GM style fuel line disconnect tools. You may have to lower the stock tank a bit to get to the fuel lines. Sometimes the disconnect tools come with the new tank. If you have a motor cycle jack it will make putting the new tank up in place a lot easier. The directions are pretty straight forward. The 06's use the stock filler neck, and that makes it easier.
I did a 56 gallon on our 02, and it was easy. The jack made it a snap. Other wise you will have to balance it on a floor jack and try to get it in place and hook up the lines as you go.The new tank is pretty heavy. It doesn't hurt to have a second set of hands. You shouldn't have any problem though. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

STPETEBLUE
09-20-2006, 22:08
Take pics during the install!!! :D

cowboywildbill
09-21-2006, 17:46
Don't forget to change the internal fitler "sump type pickup" with the longer neck type so it will reach the bottom of the new deeper transmission pan.
I'm asuming that Mag Tech is deeper like the allison deep pan is.
It's a bummer to get under there and drop the pan and not have the part to go back in. I know I been there and done that.

upsguy
09-21-2006, 19:23
Got pan and cover in today. Will install this weekend and take pictures and see if I can figure out how to post them.

The pan came with the filter needed for the deeper pan. It will hold four more quarts and the rear diff cover will hold almost double stock. It also has a magnetic dip stick and a place to add temp sending unit if I get one.

I think I read somewhere where the tranny internal filter need not be replaced at changing intervals, only the spin-on filter. But the instructions that came with new pan says to replace it at each change. Anybody know anything about this?

Hey, cowboywildbill, thanks for the advice.

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2006, 19:36
Allison recommends service of the internal filter ONLY at overhaul. The statement you received with your pan sounds like a blanket statement, based on traditional practice. The Allison tranny is by no means, traditional.