PDA

View Full Version : Sled Pulling

SoTxPollock
09-19-2006, 10:08
While at the county fair this past week-end they had antique tractor pulls, but certain people ,"Dodge" trucks, got to pull. Man I wanted to put my Duramax on the line to show them something, but didn't want to make a bad showing either. I already had the front end lowered and could have adjusted air pressure, but didn't have any aggressive tires to use.
Any serious pullers out there want to coach me with a few possibilities on how to make a really good run. I'm considering next year's fair, so I want to be prepared. I never go to the track anywhere to finish second.
You can message me in private if you don't want to give away your secrets to everybody. I grew up on a farm driving dirt roads so I know what dirt traction feels like, but I need to know your thoughts on truck preparation.
Thanks in advance for what you share.
What do I need to do to win?

TexasDmax
09-21-2006, 12:15
The fair you were at did't happen to be the Colorado County Fair did it? I was there this past weekend pulling my tractors and saw a couple of newer trucks and a couple of old beaters pull. If it was you were you just at the fair or there for the tractor pull?

Mark Rinker
09-21-2006, 15:50
I have pulled both my 6.5s and Duramaxes at our county fair. Never won anything, but placed respectably mid-track. This year I had the 2001 with propane and fuel all turned up and overpowered the tires big-time. Its hard to feather the throttle when you are bouncing...

1) Get your hitch height as tall as the rules will allow.

2) Carry the max weight for your class.

3) Run 4LO, let the Allison decide on the shifting.

Floor it and let 'er buck. As soon as you bounce - LIFT. If you can get it to stop by feathering back into the throttle, you might be able to continue, but mostly once you bounce you're done.

SoTxPollock
09-25-2006, 10:04
YEAH, It was Colorad County. I was there for the fair not to pull, just got the itch to pull after seeing that White Dodge pull. He said his is the old 12 valve cummins and he usually outpulls his son's 24 valve. I've pull some heavy loads before with my goosneck, but I don't know how well that stock hitch at the back would hold up?
Mark, interesting you said you used 4LO, I was thinking 4 High a let it pull what it could pull. How many gears did you shift through in 4LO? I know my 4H hits 25 and shifts so I figured I wouldn't have to worry much about shifting and slipping the allison and have it back off the torque. What are your thoughts on that?

Mark Rinker
09-25-2006, 12:17
The only way to know for sure would be an afternoon in front of the same sled, on the same track.

All the pullers with stock diesels ran 4LO. Thats all I know.

Bobo
10-18-2006, 21:55
Most guys with a Dmax/Allison run 4 low in 3rd gear. You can put it in third and let the Allison do the shifting. Lower the T-bars and use some Cognito braces from Kennedy Diesel to keep the front tires pointing straight. Tie Rod sleeves are not a bad idea either. They reinforce the tie rods to keep them from bending.

Mark Rinker
10-24-2006, 19:29
So how did your pulls go? I want to do better next summer...didn't carry enough weight to be competetive.