PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor Corrosion Inhibitor.

MEP
09-19-2006, 17:53
What corrosion inhibitor are you guys using to fix the problem caused by the above subject? TSB 03-05-25-007B recomends GM P/N 89022217 "Rust Penetrating Lubricant", which I do not have. I'm sure there are equal substitutes out there.
A while ago I saw a TSB on Alldata that recomended "Cold Galvinizing Compound" made by LST Corp.
For anyone who does not live in the rust belt, this corrosion causes the ABS Brakes to activate at speed below 5 mph on dry pavement.

More Power
09-26-2006, 13:21
A substitute for GM's recommended "Rust Penetrating Lubricant" would be something like WD-40 or its equivalent. However, I remember reading a corrosion test performed quite a few years ago that tested the rust preventive nature of many leading products and several home remedies. In the final analysis, regular old ATF worked better than any commercial product advertised as preventing rust.

The time to apply some sort of cold galvanizing treatment to ABS sensor components would be when the truck was new. I wish GM, Ford & Dodge would do this for us. It's disappointing to look beneath a brand new truck and see rusty parts. :(

Jim

JohnC
09-26-2006, 14:42
About a year ago we had the '99 in for this problem, after it nearly caused an accident. They did whatever they did and the problem went away. Later we had another ABS issue and they replaced the controller (second time) and the valve thingey (technical term). Now it's doing the same thing: ABS activates at 2-3 mph and it takes 3-4 times as long to stop.

I'm wondering if I should go in and mess with the sensors myself or take it back to the dealer AGAIN!!!

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2006, 15:04
I have the recall bulletin and procedure. If it seems to be a common need, I could prepare a sumarized procedure to post here. If you have a Helm manual, and are still on the "supplemental update list", you can have Helm send it to you. Alldatadiy.com also has the complete info available with a subscription.

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2006, 13:54
Holy Cow!!

Guess a bunch of you don't trust your dealers! My inbox is full of requests. I'll prepare a sumarized procedure (copyright friendly) and run it by Jim before making it available. I can not share the procedure I have, as it is copyrighted. There may also be some liability issues involved.

The procedure is not difficult if you are mechanically adept. If you are not, please don't attempt it. This is a safety system, but pretty straight forward. If parts of the procedure are not followed carefully, other problems could come up (like a wheel falling off). If you have the issue, and are in the NE states (salt-belt), please give your dealer a chance to fix it under the recall (no charge to you). You are not going to be able to do it any better, as long as the dealer follows the procedure. Plus, if they screw something up, they will pay for it. A new hub/bearing/sensor assembly is ~$400 retail. The sensor itself is not serviceable.