PDA

View Full Version : Allison Filter question

jamesm34
09-19-2006, 20:29
When should the filter be changed on the tranny? I've read 15K and the dealer says 25K.

Anything special that needs to be done since I've never messed with it (how much fluid should I replace, etc)? Thanks

DmaxMaverick
09-19-2006, 21:43
Other than GM's recommendations, there is really no set interval.

The only "supplemental" service you need to worry about is the initial change. The filter should be changed early on. 5K is a pretty good figure for the first change, then at a regular interval after that. I suggest changing it according to your usage. If just "normal" driving and ocasional towing/hauling, then 25K is fine. Adjust this sooner according to more frequent/heavier towing habits if you wish.

I change mine at about 15K (sometimes 10K, just for GP), with 50/50 empty driving and heavy towing near GCWR. I would have no problem changing at 25K, but the filters are cheap and easy to replace, and I'm usually under there doing something else anyway. I'm also using Amsoil TorqueDrive fluid, as well. If I was using regular Dex III, I probably wouldn't feel as comfortable with longer intervals.

When you replace the filter, you will lose very little fluid. Usually only the amount in the filter, and a few drops from the tranny. You can replace the few ounces lost, but it probably won't even show on the dipstick. Just check the fluid level regularly, and add as necessary.

FBJR
09-19-2006, 22:10
You referring to the spin on right?

I did mine at 1250 miles and plan on doing the rear and trans pan at 5K with high capacity alum covers at the same time.

FB

DmaxMaverick
09-19-2006, 22:44
You referring to the spin on right?....FB

Good point.

We are talking about the spin-on. Right?? I was. The internal filter (the traditional tranny filter) is recommended for service only at overhaul. Changing to the deep pan will require the longer filter anyway, so it gets done with it. Also, the tranny pan gasket is reusable.

SoTxPollock
09-20-2006, 10:15
I change the spin on every time I change fuel filters, just to be sure that clutch material gets filtered out of the system. Just fill the filter before you put it on, since it points straight up, you shouldn't spill any.