PDA

View Full Version : Intake question

upsguy
09-19-2006, 20:31
What's the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 intake system?

ramblinrodney
09-19-2006, 21:17
afe stage1 air box only stage2 air box & pipe

Mark Craig
09-20-2006, 13:07
upsguy,

Also in most cases the filter in the Stage II is larger in dimension and has more square inches of media to flow air thru. Always consider the AFE Pro Guard 7 filter element to protect the engine too!

Mark @ DPPI

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2006, 13:43
I'm now installing an AFE Stage II into my '01 (Finally!!). I'm not using the original filter, but instead using an Amsoil EaAU4090 element. The element is about 2-1/2" longer than the AFE (more surface area!), and is a dry, nanofiber element. I'm having to do some sheetmetal modification of the inner fender to accommodate the longer filter, but it'll work well. Everything else about the install is the same as any install, except for a couple holes needed for the Mega Filter.

I'm not a fan of oiled-gauze at all, and won't use one. The Amsoil filter element is longer, and has additional element surface in the end, in an inverted cone. A LOT more surface area than the original AFE element, and no mess. The filter is cleanable with shop air.

cowboywildbill
09-21-2006, 05:26
I used to use K&N on our Harleys and cars and Dodge Cummins. Then I saw a report on the amount of dirt that an oil glazed filter let thru to the engine as opposed to paper or foam.. Needless to say I don't use them anymore.
Does anyone know how much more air the new 06 style factory air filter flows as opposed to the previous types?

SoTxPollock
09-21-2006, 10:06
Ditto on not using K & N anymore. Engines don't live long on dirt of any appreciable amount.
Now I'm curious, is the assumption that the Amsoil filter because its made of nanofibers will trap more dirt a valid one? Or will it trap smaller particles than paper? I can see the extra area helping if its clogged, but where is the restriction in a clean OEM system anyway?
I don't know if the new filter flows anymore than the old style. Just when you think you know enough to make a change, they change the OEM and now the tests of previous days won't include the new ones.

Mark Craig
09-27-2006, 14:19
I'm now installing an AFE Stage II into my '01 (Finally!!). I'm not using the original filter, but instead using an Amsoil EaAU4090 element. The element is about 2-1/2" longer than the AFE (more surface area!), and is a dry, nanofiber element. I'm having to do some sheetmetal modification of the inner fender to accommodate the longer filter, but it'll work well. Everything else about the install is the same as any install, except for a couple holes needed for the Mega Filter.

I'm not a fan of oiled-gauze at all, and won't use one. The Amsoil filter element is longer, and has additional element surface in the end, in an inverted cone. A LOT more surface area than the original AFE element, and no mess. The filter is cleanable with shop air.

DmaxMaverick,

Do you have gauges?? The Dodge guys that have installed the non oiled reuseable fitlers have seen a loss of boost pressure with those filters. Would be curious is you had guages to check stock, with the AFE and then the Amsoil??

Mark @ DPPI

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2006, 19:54
DmaxMaverick,

Do you have gauges?? The Dodge guys that have installed the non oiled reuseable fitlers have seen a loss of boost pressure with those filters. Would be curious is you had guages to check stock, with the AFE and then the Amsoil??

Mark @ DPPI

Got gauges. Boost at the plenum and pyro at the manifold. No difference at all at the top end, but it does spool up quite a bit quicker, and the EGT's rise slower (didn't expect that one). More turbo whine, too, but that's likely the "open" airbox compared to my "almost open" swiss cheesed stock box with the older Amsoil oil/foam. The butt dyno says much quicker from a dead stop. I don't know if the performance gain is from the pipe, or filter, or both. I tried the AFE filter first, and it seemed somewhere in between the before/after Amsoils. The Amsoil filter I'm using now has quite a bit more surface area than either of them, with deaper pleats than the AFE. I had to remove the sheet metal in the inner fender to fit the Amsoil filter. It is about 1.5" from the outer fender, nearly 3" longer than the AFE. The filter is not an application filter, but rather a measured filter. I called Greg and asked him what would fit the pipe, and that's what he came up with. There are shorter models, but I didn't want to give up the surface area. It would look cool with a longer filter sticking out of the fender, but I just couldn't get myself to do that. I may do that in the future with a scoop on it. I could even make it reversible for weather changes (or power-rotating, or pop-up like a RoadRunner, or....). Now that would peg the cool meter! Hmmmm. Gotta quit thinking about stuff like that!

cowboywildbill
09-28-2006, 07:01
What about the new style round filter on the 06 model trucks? Has anyone done a study on how much it flows as opposed to the earlier flat filter or aftermarket ones? I am asuming that it's round, I haven't taken our filter out yet. The diagram in the Owners manual shows it to be round.

EdHale
09-28-2006, 14:56
Yep, it is round. I looked at mine yesterday just to see how to get to it and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get it out. One screw at the top of the box opens and exposes the filter, but that sucker is either stuck or I'm mising something.

Help!!!!!

Ed

(Really Stupid Question from a 10 year diesel driver)