PDA

View Full Version : Adjust Idle???

TxBeaux
09-20-2006, 13:54
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to adjust the idle on a 1996 6.5 w/5 speed? My oil pressure is a little low at warm idle (about 10lbs at 700RPM). With the smallest increase in idle (via acc. pedal) the oil pressure jumps back up where it should be. I called the local dealer and they didn't have a clue. (Bunch of kids!)

16gaSxS
09-20-2006, 15:50
700 RPM is where she suppose to be. The "puter runs the idle. Try changing oil prressure sensor it maybe bad.

oilburnertoo
09-21-2006, 03:39
You can do the PTO idle up mods, OBD II has 2 idle speed options IIRC. Involves adding a switch and wire to the PCM, a search here will turn up the how to's.

Warren96
09-21-2006, 05:52
I dont think 10 lbs at idle would be a problem,but if it makes you uncomfortable, try using a straight 30 weight diesel oil on your next oil change. Shell rotella 30 weight is what i used to use in the summer.If your from Texas, its summer there pretty much all the time is'nt it?

Robyn
09-21-2006, 07:12
The oil pressure senders on these beasties are a tad flakey.
With the fuel pump being run via part of the sender they can get wierd on you.
As mentioned do try replacing the sender before getting all worked up.
The other thing you can do and your engine will love it, add a small bottle of STP ( Not a paid promo) I use the stuff all the time and have for years in my rigs.
As much as I find most advertisments insulting this stuff leaves the parts inside that need to be well lubed "very slippery".
This stuff also will help with the Oil pressure worries.
10 is not a dangerous idle pressure and the running pressure is supposed to be 40.
I personally like to see 25- 30 at idle and 60 running but the system is not designed that way.
The dash gauges on the trucks can be goofy. If you really want to know whats up tie in a good direct reading pressure gauge. As the electronic gauges and sending units age they lose some of their edge.
The sending units can relay false information depending on the condition of the unit and depending on the overall condition of the wiring and the supply voltage all the instruments can read slightly off from the real world.
factory electric gauges are a look kewl best guess meter thats all.
My 94 was showing a volt meter reading running of 12 volts. A real volt meter hooked up to the harness showed 14.3.
The oil pressure gauge shows running at 35lbs a real gauge shows 50lbs running.
A recent change in battery cables and a few other fixes changed the issue some but not to the point of being totally accurate.
Good luck

Robyn

john8662
09-21-2006, 11:25
Ditto on what Robyn said!