PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust the auto kickdown?

nev62
09-21-2006, 07:53
Hi guys. Can someone please describe how to change the auto kickdown on the 6.5? Also does anyone have an old workshop manual they nolonger need for the 6.2/6.5 and don't mind sending to Australia (I'll pay freight of course) :o

Cowracer
09-21-2006, 10:41
Hi guys. Can someone please describe how to change the auto kickdown on the 6.5? Also does anyone have an old workshop manual they nolonger need for the 6.2/6.5 and don't mind sending to Australia (I'll pay freight of course) :o

Are you referring to the auto tranny kick down (aka passing gear)? If so, I dont think there is a way to adjust it. With my truck, apparently the computer is smart enough to know that kicking down a gear at freeway speeds would land me solidly in the red zone of the tach. I woudn't be tempted to mess with that.

Tim

john8662
09-21-2006, 11:24
What kind of transmission do you have behind that 6.5? Is your 6.5 mechanically or electronically injected?

I'll make a couple of guesses real quick...

Mechanically injected, using DB2 injection pump
TH700R4 transmission behind 6.5

If so, it'll have a TV cable on the back of the engine using a 6.2 TV cable and bracket, it'll be on the back driver's side.

For a 700R4, if you're not getting proper kickdown of gears, then your TV cable is likely out of adjustment.

Does it shift early or late in the early gears, does it kick down after a shift in the lower gears?

nev62
09-21-2006, 15:09
Sorry I was not thinking when I posted the question :o

The engine is around a 1993 model hybrid. Block is 6.5, heads are from a 6.2 and aux items are from this and that (alternator from a hilux, power steering from a toyota car, a/c compressor from unknown origin) It is in a 1988 Toyota Landcrusier and the transmission is also Toyota. No computers in this baby :D

I will take some pics and then if people can tell me what is what with this Frankenstein engine ;)

Robyn
09-21-2006, 16:16
Wow
You have a real "Mut" (Nothing bad intended) well its hard to say without knowing which Toyota tranny is in it.
Find out what tranny is in it and we can move ahead from there.
let us know

Best to ya mate
Robyn

noelb
09-22-2006, 03:03
Being a hybrid it is going to be very hard to get it right. The amount of travel with the throttle linkage and the distance from the centre (or arc) that the kickdown cable travels will all make a difference - What you gain on the hurdy gurdy you may well loose on the roundabout!

Good Luck.

dieselrealtor
09-22-2006, 05:08
Sounds a little like a Johnny Cash song.

With the yota transmission & no computer, it is probably a cable linkage. If that is the case, you may have to just play around (using lead shot fishing weights crimped) with a modified stock cable hooked to mechanical throttle somehow, when you find the right setting, permanently crimp ends with steel.

Need to be real careful when adding a cable to throttle linkage to have a failsafe, in case it binds that it won't hold your throttle open.

Just a thought.

nev62
09-22-2006, 08:21
The kickdown is cable. Thought I would post some pics of Frankenchev :D

Is really dirty and rough (needs a good clean and tidy up as this is both my toy and daily driver :o

http://users.tpg.com.au/nev62/images/frankenchev 001.jpg

The blue hose is an air line. It goes from a converted A/C compressor to an old truck air tank. Takes under 2 minutes to pump all 4 33" tyres from 18PSI to 36PSI and drives the truck air horns :o I intend to also run my lockers from this soon and keep the ARB compressor as a backup.

http://users.tpg.com.au/nev62/images/frankenchev 002.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/nev62/images/frankenchev 003.jpg