PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a quality shop for head work?

skark_burmer
09-21-2006, 15:16
I bought a truck for the motor, it was a '90 pickup with 280k on the clock. I yanked the motor and i ran the casting numbers and its a 6.5 N/A replacement motor. After i got it out i looked and it is a 506 casting, which i hear is a 6.5 block. Now that it is apart it is clear that it has nowhere near the 280k shown on the odometer so i am going to leave the bottom end and pistons in it and just put it back together. Before i do that i would like to have someone take a look at the heads and make sure they are tip top. they look ok from a visual inspection but i dont have tools to pull valves.
I live in San Jose California but would be willing to ship them to a good shop who knows the ins and outs of these heads. can anyone suggest a good place that will take care of them if they need work?
Im rebuilding this motor for economy and reliability, not more power, but i want to do it once and do it right. Would a 3 angle valve job be appropriate, or is that not suggested in a diesel?

any suggestions?

Jeff

Robyn
09-22-2006, 08:04
Hello
Well if you have the heads off already I would not waste the time messing with a used set of factory heads. By the time you get them cleaned, inspected, magged, surfaced and the valves done you will have some serious $$$$$ in them and they are still prone to cracking. Go to Clearwater Cylinder head on line and order a set of their heads. Cost me $670 including freight and Im up near Portland Or.
They pay the frieght back on your old ones. They salvage the good parts from the old units and use them in a new set of castings.
I was impressed with the heads I got and they are working great.
I think its a far better way to go. Once the engine is in the rig its a bitch to have to go back and redo the sucker if one cracks. not to mention the mess it makes.
Good luck

Robyn

redbird2
09-22-2006, 15:02
If you can not see any external cracks send the to a local machine shop and have them checked, Do you know anyone into racing they always know the good machine shops the last set I had checked valves ground, new seal and pressure tested heads cost me under 275.00 If I see cracks I normally just put Clearwater Cylinder heads on and let it go I don't spend the money to check them.