PDA

View Full Version : Over boost problem, need help!

Shed
09-22-2006, 06:56
I recently became the proud owner of an 01' duramax. I upgraded the intake with an airaid system, and put on a 4" magna flow exhaust. I pulled my 5th wheel for the first time and it started out well! After first getting into some moderate midwestern hills, the truck kicked into overdrive and began churning up the hill when all the sudden the power "left the building"! I thought of the guy who sold me the truck and instantly wanted blood! The engine never quit. I pulled to the shoulder, all gauges were fine, no warning lights, no overheating, and all was "fine". The truck picked back up and was fine the rest of the way home. I took it to the local deealer who told me there was an over boost code in the computer and that this was caused by the new intake and exhaust. Something about too much air into the turbo, and a pressure relief valve dumping my air and thus loosing power until the valve could reset itself. Question is, is this true? Is this something anyone has expirienced or heard of? Is there a fix for this, and if so what are my options? I'm not pulling sleds, or doing anything crazy, she just pulls my 30' 5th wheel. I just want this to never happen again, especially while running down the road with my buddies Ford looking on!

Mark Rinker
09-22-2006, 21:31
I get this occassionally with my '01 running stock ECM. Goes away with aftermarket tunes. I have been told its a programming glitch with the 2001s.

JK could set you up with his custom tune, and it will go away - plus you'll have MORE POWER on tap to make use of your breathing mods...

MIKE WIENER
09-24-2006, 05:15
Had the same thing in my 01 3500. Over boost code. Also have intake and 4" pipes. Sent ecm to Kennedy He reflashed it with a stock 02 program. truck runs perfict no codes no any thing. He was able to turn it around in A week door to door.
I chose the stock re flash this way I can use A progemer if I ever deside to.

mark45678
09-24-2006, 11:32
If I recall correctly the 2001 trucks have a factory reflash that address this issue. I maybe worth talking to your local dealer and see if your tuck has the most up to date flash . ALL reflashes for that truck help and I didnt find any negitive points and the 2 reflashes I had done on mine.

Kennedy
09-25-2006, 07:44
Many still ended up with the "dead pedal syndrome" or "phanton limp mode" so we generally just set up as 2002...

More Power
09-25-2006, 11:33
I've run as much as 32 psi boost using a stock 2001 LB7 ECM program (but with an Edge/Attitude), without setting an over-boost code.

It might be that the new air intake & filter element allowed some filter oil to coat the MAF sensor... This'll do it nearly every time.... ;)

Jim