PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a new truck

KenR
09-22-2006, 11:37
Well, it's time for a new truck. I'm being nickel and dimed by my 02.

Went to a nearby dealer to look at 07's. He happened to have one with a 6" lift and 315's sitting on the showroom floor. It was gorgeous and I immediatly came down with a case of Iwants.

But the practical side of me says that that combination isn't great for towing, and we frequently tow a 20' enclosed race trailer or rather heavy 28' bumper pull toy hauler (Desert Fox).

I'm presently running 285's and, while it doesn't have the snap it would with the stock donuts, it isn't awful either.

If I go with a lifted truck and bigger tires I'd have to buy all new drop hitches (the red man with horns on my shoulder speaks: "...but it's so pretty"). I'd definitely get worse mileage. ("...but it looks great"). What about durability, safety, and low parking garages ("...driving that truck will make you look 10 years younger!").

So what say you, the masses on the Diesel Page? Is this my mid-life Corvette, or am I analyzing it too much? Lift with big tires or no?

More Power
09-22-2006, 13:16
If the lifted look is what you want, I say go for it! :D Having exactly what you want is important.

However, there will be compromises..... Some of them you mentioned, and there are others.... I consider driveability the most important criteria. It's got to drive well, track straight and be quiet (no tire noise).

Jim