PDA

View Full Version : Tap for Fuel Pressure Gauge

CareyWeber
04-15-2004, 15:54
All,

I bought a electric fuel pressure gauge 0 - 16 psi and have been trying decide where to mount the sending unit that did not require me to remove the fuel filter unit to mount the sending unit. Well I was thinking that I might be able to install the sending unit in the line that leads to the fuel filter drain petcock. Do you guys think that will work?

Truck 97 GMC K3500 6.5TD

Carey

[ 04-15-2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

ucdavis
04-15-2004, 18:27
yes. fire up the engine when it is installed & crack the petcock till it leaks a little & close so you are sure you are reading fuel & not air, but the pressure should be close enough to working pressure into the IP for all your purposes.

gmctd
04-15-2004, 18:29
That will work, but requires dedicated ground wiring to the body of the sender to prevent static electricity buildup.
The rubber fuel line completely isolates and insulates the sender unit.

CareyWeber
04-15-2004, 18:47
Originally posted by gmctd:
That will work, but requires dedicated ground wiring to the body of the sender to prevent static electricity buildup.
The rubber fuel line completely isolates and insulates the sender unit. gmctd,

Where do you think the best place is to mount it, or where would you mount it?

My sensor only has one stud to attach a wire do you have a suggestion on how to mount a ground wire?

I do want it to be a permanently mounted.

Carey

Jim H.
04-15-2004, 19:37
I connected a "tee" into the line from the filter to the injection pump. The sender itself is located on the left side of the engine compartment.

gmctd
04-15-2004, 20:26
I had assumed permanently mounted - the 'tee' would be necessary, as stated above. The ground wire is also required for electrical circuit continuity with that sender, if not screwed into the engine, and would require a strap-type clamp around the body of the sender.
Mount it anywhere convenient, but strapped to the engine somewhere would also eliminate necessity for the ground wire.

The strap can be a strip of brass shim, wrapped around the body, long enough to form two ears, short enough so the ears can be squeezed together to form a tight clamp, drill the ears, brass screw and nut thru the ears, and a ring-terminal on the ground wire completes the connection.
Or a conduit-type clamp to attach the sender to the engine or body sheetmetal.

[ 04-16-2004, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

CareyWeber
05-03-2004, 16:05
I was thinking that I might cut the nipple off the bottom of the fuel drain and the drill it out and tap it with 1/8" NPT then I'd install my tee there.

What do you guys think?

steve-r
05-03-2004, 22:08
CareyW, what brand of Fuel Pressure gauge did you get? and where? thx.

CareyWeber
05-04-2004, 02:39
Originally posted by steve-r:
CareyW, what brand of Fuel Pressure gauge did you get? and where? thx. Steve it's a Stewart Warner track force electric gauge it was on ebay.

Carey

rjwest
05-04-2004, 13:05
I removed fuel feed line from Inj Pump. installed
Tee and short piece of hose to Pump.
Output of 3rd port of Tee to Brass 1/8 Copper Line
to fuel gage.....
Can reinstall to original very easy...