PDA

View Full Version : Trusty 6.5

JTodd
09-23-2006, 05:59
My new job keeps me away from home for two weeks at a time. Every time I come home, my 6.5 is waiting just as I left it, locked and unstarted for the past 14 days. I jump in, let it glow through a single cycle and fire it up. It starts so fast you would think I had just shut it down. It cranks for litterally a one count before firing and running smoothly. Sure, it has its problems, but it seems that I can always count on it.

I wanted to post this for people reading this forum who might get the impression that we all have only headaches with the 6.5.

Robyn
09-23-2006, 06:59
As long as these little beasties are loved and maintained they seem to be fairly reliable.
I had a 93 extended cab that was that way.
I wish I had that little truck back.
You will always hear is the negative stuff because nobody takes the time to crow about how great their rig is.
The only time some folks even notice their rig is when the scenery dont go by after turning the key on.
Just let the rig fail to start one time and OH Yeh buddy that same individual who has had his truck for many trouble free years will be shouting P.O.S to any who will listen.
Those of us who know the 6.5 and own them love em.

Bes to ya

Robyn

Mark Rinker
09-23-2006, 09:47
My two '94s have sat since April when the last snow subsided. This fall, they'll get a quick once-over, batteries charged and fluids checked, and do another winter of plowing with no complaints from truck or driver. I wouldn't trade them for anything!!!

kevin77
09-23-2006, 10:15
I've had my 94' burb for 2 1/2 years now and the only time I had a problem was when some water in the fuel line froze (I blame myself on a poor choice of fuel selection)

I figure as long as I take care of mine, she will take care of me.

Kevin

JTodd
09-23-2006, 10:43
As a follow up, it is not just in warm weather that is starts right up. Last winter is sat for more than a week in single digit weather unplugged. I got in, let it glow and cranked it over. It had to crank more than the warm weather one count, but not much more and it fired up. Lots of smoke and sounded like a bag of hammers, but after a few minutes it was purring like the smokey kitten it is.

Robyn
09-23-2006, 19:07
One of my Burbs has 260K on it and it needs a set of glow sticks and probably a set of squirts too.
You crank it over in the cold and it shudders,shakes, bangs and rattles and smokes up the entire area real bad for a few minutes then its ready to go.
I bought it off a skanky used car lot and have done little to it untill recently when I had a starter issue (posted earlier)
I will run it untill it lets me down and then do whatever to get it going again.
Cost per mile is my thing now. As long as it runs reliably and gets fairly good mileage I leave it alone. I have changed the oil in that one twice in the last 2 years. I do air filters at the begining of the dusty season fuel filters just before the cold.
The other Burb gets oil and filter every 3000 or so and the rest of the stuff as usual.
The Cat in my big rig gets Oil and filters at 10K religiously and air filters at the first of the summer and fuel filters twice a season.
600K now on the cat and it runs sweet.

RT
09-24-2006, 20:10
My 93 is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I purchased it used in '99 with 118K on the clock. I did some upgrades when I first got her but since then nothing but regular maintenence. It has never failed to start, in any weather and runs flawlessly today with 238K on it now. Thats it, its the best truck I could ask for. Oh yeah, its paid for too! RT

Robyn
09-25-2006, 06:33
93 was the best year for the 6.5 as far as an overall stock package.
No electronics on the pump and the tranny stuff seemed to work well overall.
I had a 93 and loved it.
That truck did everything I needed except carry lots of people.
I needed a crew cab to take all the folks that went when we hauled horses.
I bought a 94 dually crew cab and then my troubles started. Unfortunately this place was not around then and all troubles were a dealer item and we all know how that goes.
Little black 93 was a sweet truck it was.

Craig M
09-25-2006, 07:41
My 6.2's also start nice even when left unused for long periods. This weekend started my 60's Crown bus with a 220 pancake Cummins. It has been unstarted for about 8 years, no fuel conditioner or anything special. Cleaned the battery terminals, put 2 Optimas in her and she fired right up like I had driven her yesterday. Gotta love the diesels!

Rot Box
09-26-2006, 09:10
crank it over in the cold and it shudders,shakes, bangs and rattles and smokes up the entire area real bad for a few minutes then its ready to go.

Ditto........:D.........my trucks the same way, but then again I'm not much better in the mornings either :rolleyes:

rtphillips370
10-01-2006, 23:08
I love my 99 Dually with the 6.5, she has 149K miles but i plan to have the body restored, she is starting to show its age with Michigan Cancer in the usual places (very minor).

I recently purchased a second vehicle so I would not have to count on it as primary transportation and allow for time to work on it. I plan to have the interior restored (needs new carpet), body/paint back to show room and tweak the engine and drivetrain. All in all, it will be cheaper than buying a new truck. Looking at intercooler, ecm reflash, modified exhaust, gear venders aux trans, new injectors, and a few other toys, considering going with a mini rig theme, i.e. air horns, taylor wing, brush guards etc...

If all goes well, I hope to squeeze at least another 6-8 years of service if not more out of her. As long as it pulls the ole fifth wheel ill be happy. May even start a progress log here or somewhere for all to view.