PDA

View Full Version : How to determine age of injectors?

JSteward
09-24-2006, 10:00
I don't know if the injectors in my truck have ever been changed. Is there any way to tell if they are original? I've read the injectors have a life of around 100k miles; my truck has about 127k.

Can one tell an old, original injector from a newer one based on amount of black gook or someother identifiable characteristic? If not, I may have them all replaced. What price should I expect to pay a good diesel mechanic shop to replace all injectors if I supply the injectors?

Thanks.

Hubert
09-24-2006, 11:21
Look at the return lines if not different looking and most all have clips on them then they are probably original. I'd say most people use the installation kit on injector installs. You could look for a website that will look up vehicle history and input VIN to see dealer work history.

Another plus of ALLData.com ... it gives shop times and you can guestimate repair costs.

Some shops don't like customer supplied parts. Shops make a little money on part sales. Ask before buying them.

Shikaroka
09-25-2006, 09:16
If they MIGHT be orginals, I'd look into replacing them.
If you were local, and brought me the injectors, I'd probably change them for around $100. But, I'd say most shops would charge around $250-$300.