PDA

View Full Version : How do you pass inspection with no cat?

upsguy
09-25-2006, 20:52
I'd like to add a 4" exhaust and AFE intake sometime in future. Was looking at front pipe back exhaust, but how do you pass inspection with no cat. Are there some systems where you can easily install cat for inspection and remove it afterwards?

Kennedy
09-26-2006, 07:15
You'd have to put the cat back in to pass. You may well pass the smog part of the check, but the visual will get you and they don't much care what comes out the pipe if the visual doesn't fly.

The MBRP system has provisions to re-install the cat as necessary. You'd basically have a cat back system with a cat delete pipe.

dieselrealtor
09-26-2006, 18:33
You know, if you could find a 4" cat, & the guts of the cat "happened" to fall out, it would pass the visual inspection.

Fortunately in Indiana, we don't have inspections.

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2006, 19:38
[Advice for off road use only]

Weld in a resonator. They're about the same size/appearance as cat. If the inspector says, "where's your cat?", point to the resonator. If he says he's never seen one like that before, tell him, "that's 'cause you can't afford one working here." A 4" cat is about $600+, wholesale.

WhiteMax
09-26-2006, 21:00
I figure it's a joke, but if I was the inspector and you jacked with me, your **** better be square or it would be parked. ;)

If you ever doubt the power of CHP inspectors... try hanging a donut on your slack adjuster and see how long it takes to get your rig back on the road. They can shut you down for dirty placards and headlights. I always try to be respectful, even when I get one that doesn't deserve it...

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2006, 21:12
In CA, inspections are done by grease monkeys that went to a 4 hour class and read a book. CHP only checks OTR commercials.

Yeah. The doughnut trick won't get you far.....Maybe a dozen.....

I was only half joking. You'll have to figure out which half. Legalities make good advice hard to give when it comes to stuff like this. That's the reason for starting with a disclaimer, which isn't a joke (kind of a joke in itself??).

JohnC
09-27-2006, 11:26
...If the inspector says, "where's your cat?", point to the resonator. If he says he's never seen one like that before, tell him ....

Stock response: "As far as I know it's always been that way..."

More Power
09-27-2006, 13:23
The day is coming when diesels are smog checked as diligently as gas cars. CARB is already well along in developing the equipment and training program. Most other states that currently require emissions certification for gas cars will likely follow CA's path. :(

Jim

Craig M
09-27-2006, 15:44
If CARB starts doing visual inspections on diesel registered vehicles there will be many hundreds of vehicles off the roads in California. I do not have enought fingers to count the people I know who have put gas engines in diesel "registered" vehicles. 454 big blocks do have a little more torque than our trusty old 6.2's.

WhiteMax
09-28-2006, 19:43
I think my old Turbo'd 6.2 would have given that big block a run for it's money and go further on a gallon...

DmaxMaverick
09-28-2006, 22:14
I think my old Turbo'd 6.2 would have given that big block a run for it's money and go further on a gallon...

Without a doubt....That's why we're all here!

Craig M
09-29-2006, 13:40
That is exactly why we are here. The 6.2 gets much better fuel mileage than any truck gasser. Unfortunately us diesel enthousiasts (sp) are way outnumbered by the people that do not appreciate or understand diesels (no thanks to the 1978 olds 5.7). A non smog regulated big block however can get some good horsepower even if it does have to run to the gas station frequently.

JeepSJ
10-09-2006, 12:26
The day is coming when diesels are smog checked as diligently as gas cars. CARB is already well along in developing the equipment and training program. Most other states that currently require emissions certification for gas cars will likely follow CA's path. :(

Jim

AZ already has an inspection for diesels, as does WA. Both are just opacity tests, but who knows what is in store for the future? It'll be interesting to see what happens when I drag the Waggy over to the inspection station here in Phoenix...

JeepSJ
10-09-2006, 12:27
If CARB starts doing visual inspections on diesel registered vehicles there will be many hundreds of vehicles off the roads in California. I do not have enought fingers to count the people I know who have put gas engines in diesel "registered" vehicles.

We probably know a lot of the same people!