PDA

View Full Version : opportunity is knocking would u answer

murphyslaw
09-26-2006, 11:25
ok so I found a 6.2 of unknown year to me. all the major components are there that i can tell I can get this for under 100bucks what do you all think even if i need an overhaul would it be worth it?

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=984128&convertTo=USD

tho the fact it was a militay deal im kinda worryed about the internal conditions of it. but hey for less then 100 bucks??????

I only have like 2hrs to figure out if i want this thing let me know asap. there are a few pics in the link above.

thanks for ur time.

murph

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2006, 11:33
The containers alone are worth 100 bucks! I'd get all those I could at that price! The pumps will be "hard-parted", so they are worth their weight in gold.

Don't let any of them get away!!!!

murphyslaw
09-26-2006, 11:58
whats hard parted??

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2006, 12:06
whats hard parted??
The military version of the DB2 pump has hardened internal components to tollerate more varied and inconsistent fuels. Fuels such as Jet-A, JP-#, and lesser quality/grades of Diesel may have less lubrication qualities and higher impurity levels. The hardened internals are very desirable, and expensive, in the consumer world.

The engine pictured also appears to have the hydraulic fan clutch attached. That's another golden egg. Just wish that goose was closer to me!

murphyslaw
09-26-2006, 12:18
ok i see I guess i'll push a little harder then.

sparky196969
09-26-2006, 13:24
if u win this it takes some time to get a ECU why who know

good luck

Bid Now
Bidding Restrictions Apply EUC Certificate Required:
All winning bids in this sale require an End-Use-Certificate (EUC).
No lots will be sold to any foreign country or any foreign national.
You will need Adobe Acrobat to view this form.

murphyslaw
09-26-2006, 13:49
Well I think i won it has 3 min left and im thehigh bidder.

You have to wait till you will to submit a euc. which I have already filled out just need to fax it to 'em.

YEAAAAAA.

so this hard parted ip is good?
and the hydroulic fan pump? Im gonna run electric fans on my setup(offroading and water crossings) so I should just sell this hydrolic pump thing?

murphyslaw
09-26-2006, 14:46
ok well its mine 135 bucks. just sent in the euc paperwork

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2006, 14:51
The hydraulic fan clutch would be ideal for water crossings, etc. It replaces the viscous fan clutch (like on all other consumer vehicles) with a hydraulically operated clutch, which can be both thermostat and manually switchable, just like an electric, but MUCH better. Electric fans leave a lot to be desired, when compared to an engine driven fan.

If you opt to not use it, I'm sure it'll sell quickly on this site.

murphyslaw
09-26-2006, 15:00
ok so there is a way to "shut" off the fan with that setup. thats what im looking for, swamped a few rigs cause i could not kill the fan. I do a lot o river crossing and that is a major consern thats one reason im going diesel giv 'em air and fuel.

should I take the ip to a shop to be tested? if i do and there is something wrong will they be able to get parts/work on it being the ip that it is(hard parted). should i even tear it open or hook it up to my test bench first to see if it lives?

where would i find the components for this hydro fan? and u know what the gpm and psi rating is on that little pump?

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2006, 15:15
Good idea to have the IP tested. Stanadyne shops can/will get the parts according to the pump part #. Some repair shops will even upgrade a different pump to the same standard, but it costs quite a bit more. If you have to have it rebuilt, be sure to tell them it's a military model.

The fan clutch is only engaged hydraulically. It connects to the water pump the same as a traditional fan clutch, but will have a fitting in the hub for a hydraulic line. The fan, when engaged, will run at pulley speed. You could easily pull pressure from either the PS pump or auto tranny.

Also, for water crossings, you need to pay as much attention to tranny, transfer case and differential vents. If the vents are under water during a crossing, they will suck in water, due to the cooling and contraction of the air in them.

murphyslaw
09-26-2006, 15:23
All my vents are centraly located in the snorkle i have on my truck now. they are at roof line. no worys there as the exhaust will also be at roof line with a 5" stack.

so I need to t off the ps pump with a line from the pressure side to the fitting on the fan clutch thing. I ordered the 6.2 book off here will any of that be in there? Guess i need to start buggin my buddies to let me on base to look at the complete rigs. see hows its set up.

murphyslaw
10-08-2006, 20:08
Well I get to go pick this up on Friday. Im excited.

murphyslaw
01-15-2007, 01:57
So I have been haulin this thing around forever in the back of my truck. the box weights 540lbs and the engine is 650 so I havnt put any sandbags in there this winter, hehe. went out tonight and pulled the injoctors to have them tested. as well ad pulled the IP to have it tested. it's a 660 casting. when I went to take the IP off I poped off the water pump expecting to see a chain but it has a set of gears. the gears had a bit of slop in them but the crank gear was loose on the crank so that may have been where all the slop came from. seems they took this motor apart before deciding to sell it. I pulled a valve cover and it has a GM 14 stamp on it. what heads are these? any other advice. I;m gonna pull the heads next time I set a few extra moments.