PDA

View Full Version : Can't find other half of broken fusible link

93_Burrito
09-26-2006, 11:44
2000 K2500

Okay, this may sound retarded... but I have a broken fusible link. I have one end but can't find the other. Allow me to elaborate:

1. I apparently broke this link while removing the intake manifold.
2. Since the link broke, my "Service Engine Soon" light came on.
Scanning the code gives me [B]P0380[B], glow plug circuit performance.

3. The broken link (orange in color) plugs into a brown wire which comes from C113, the connector plug at the main engine harness for the fuel injection pump. C113 has 15 pins, 14 of which are described in my '97 Helm manual. Information such as the circuit those pins belong to, what they do... of course there is no information whatsoever provided for the brown wire (15th I guess).
I referenced a 2000 Helm manual, and it doesn't even mention C113 or what each pin is mapped to.

Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me of this? Where the other end of the fusible link goes? I haven't noticed any broken wires associated with the glow plugs, but I think I'm missing something somwhere. Frustrating stuff... Thanks.

JohnC
09-26-2006, 12:04
Don't know much of the specifics for the 2000, but the glow plug power leads are orange and, on my '95, each bank had its own fusable link. The harnesses were separate from the connectors, though, IIRC, and ran directly to the relay.

93_Burrito
09-27-2006, 08:20
I checked the wiring on my Tahoe (a '95). Connector C113 has 15 pins as does the connector on my 2000, but only 14 wires compared the the 15 wires for the pickup. Naturally the wire missing from the picture in the Tahoe is the one I broke in my pickup...

Anyhow, I threw the towel in on finding that one. The truck is heading to my favorite local dealer tomorrow morning for a state safety inspection. I can only hope they have better reference materials than the Helm manuals I've been looking at, I put their diesel mechanic up to the task of finding the other half of the wire.

I also want the engine timing checked. The accelerator pedal is way too touchy, cruise control is jerky, and it sounds like a loud Powerstroke when I fire it up cold. I've had 2 long-crank hard starts with this truck, and each time the engine fired up (SES light - codes set) the accelerator pedal felt much better... like my Tahoe... like it should feel. Seems too far advanced.

Since these newer Helm manuals leave much to be desired, how does everyone rate Helm manuals versus something such as AllData?

Craig M
09-27-2006, 09:21
The manuals from GMC are 3 times better than any Helms or Chilton manuals.

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2006, 09:26
The manuals from GMC are 3 times better than any Helms or Chilton manuals.

Are you sure you don't mean "Haynes" (not Helm)? Helm is the provider of GM OEM manuals. I absolutely agree about Chilton, and Haynes is as bad.