PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding 700r-4 in 1988 1/2 6.2

shaneboone
09-26-2006, 17:54
I just found out that there are some differences in the valve bodies of the diesel. not mention the kit is quite incomplete. I bought a NAPA master kit to rebuild, they ordered for a 1/2 ton diesel 4 wd 1988. So far am missing a fiction plate for the forward clutch pack and one for the 3-4 clutch pack, also missing one clutch plate for the 3-4 clutch pack. Hmm.

All the books I have for the transmission has less clutch and fiction plates, the kit would be more than enough to complete. Is the 700r-4 for the diesel that much different. Insight would be great, still in the middle of the rebuild.

Shane

85-m1028
09-26-2006, 18:13
there should be a waved friction plate in each of the clutch packs that you reuse...just make sure the assembled clutch pack is clearenced within specs... and try to reasemble the same way it came appart...

you can reuse a flat steel plate if you want to firm up your shifts a little..

Robyn
09-27-2006, 07:16
The napa kits dont always have all the stuff you need.
You really need to use a 9 friction set up in the 3-4 clutch.
The stock forward clutch will do.
Be sure to replace the input drum assembly with the aftermarket reenforced one. Also the sun shell is weak in the 700 and there is a unit called the beast that is good. The sprague and the lo roller clutch also need to be updated to heavier units.
A transgo 2-3 kit set on "kill" is a great addition to these boxes too.
Been through them and if done right they are a sweet little OD box.
If not updated they can be a torment that never goes away.

Best to ya
Robyn

DA BIG ONE
09-27-2006, 08:19
http://www.transhardparts.com/