PDA

View Full Version : Best upgrades for mileage gains

Ak_Stick
09-26-2006, 18:40
Hey guys,

Just bought a 03 Dmax, after a year in Iraq it was my welcome home present to myself, but now that I've got one, I've got the urge to tinker with it.

For just mileage improvments, what would be my best bet? I commute about 20-30 miles to work, mostly through the city, I'd like to hit 18mpg

Intake, chip, exhaust?
Looking to stay under 2K

Mark Craig
09-27-2006, 14:09
Ak_Stick,

First off thanks for you time in the service!!! Get an intake exhaust system and a mild tuner and drive EASY and you'll pick up 1-3 MPG on average. If you have any questions on which ones etc please call and we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

murphyslaw
09-27-2006, 15:24
Thanks for your service to this country and its citizens.

sry its off topic but where in alaska u located?

Ak_Stick
09-29-2006, 16:02
Thanks for your service to this country and its citizens.

sry its off topic but where in alaska u located?

I'm in Anchorage

REDTRUCK05
09-29-2006, 22:34
Ak_Stick,

First off thanks for you time in the service!!! Get an intake exhaust system and a mild tuner and drive EASY and you'll pick up 1-3 MPG on average. If you have any questions on which ones etc please call and we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI
WHAT IS THIS?

Mark Rinker
09-30-2006, 05:19
If your goal is TRULY economy, my opinion is for commuting and 'recreational towing' up to 8K# loads, the Duramax is best left in nearly stock trim.

Spend your money on wheels/tires/bedliner/the stuff that the factory didn't provide. All the OEM pieces are very functional (from an ECONOMY perspective), and none of the aftermarket 'saves' you money. Not like the old 6.5 diesels where some OEM peices were flawed from the factory and needed to be upgraded to make the truck dependable and useful.

If your truck has a catalytic converter and you are not required to be emissions checked, then a larger diameter, free flowing exhaust may gain you small increases in performance and mileage. Your right foot is your biggest factor in mileage. How fast do you want to go = How much do you want to spend. I am pretty certain you first few tankfuls after the exhaust upgrade will be LOWER in mileage, because you'll be testing out that sound and performance gain.

I personally think the OEM paper filter, changed regularly, is a much better option than any oiled gauze style filter. The dustier the condtions, the more true this statement becomes. The intake itself is a pretty good peice, unless you are looking for 1/10ths in the quarter mile or feet in truck pulls, you'll spend money to modify something that isn't a problem in the first place.

Suspension? Stock shocks suck. Bilsteins seem to be popular. Wider profile tires with offset rims can give you a unique look without changing overall tire height much. Do your research here before buying TALL tires for your DMax.

Anyway, have fun and read here alot there are lots of good people and ideas.