PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Oil life, and 7 pin trailer connector Q's

PBRmeASAP
09-27-2006, 19:09
'm new to the diesel world, just got a 04 LLY with 67K. It needs the oil changed soon, but missing the owners manual, and have no clue how to reset the oil life indicator.
I'll be taking it on a 2K road trip soon and pulling a 3500lbs trailer, just want to be safe.

Plans are: new oil and filter (any suggestions on oil), trans oil filter, fuel filter, any suggestions on a good injector cleaner.

Also I quickly looked at the wiring harness for the trailer, is there a trailer brake already integrated into the factory 7 pin connector? Just plug in and go? Or if I have to put in the brake box, anyone know which wire to tap into by the brake switch (color)

Round one questions done.

Thanks
Jeff

murphyslaw
09-27-2006, 19:23
not use if its the same for u as it was on my 98 6.0 but turn the key on (dont crank) then slowely depress the gas pedel three times on the tird time hold it down till the service engine light flashes. if that dosnt work hold on the 4th stroke. Its been a while since i had that truck but I think i remembered right. if its even the same.

Mark Rinker
09-27-2006, 20:01
My choice (and Caterpillar Diesel engineers) is Mobil Delvac. I do 10K mile changes of oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, spin-on tranny filter, and the 7 or 8 quarts of tranny fluid that will drain out of the plug in the transmission.
Rear end gets synthetic every other oil change (20K), transfer case and front diffs get synthetic every 50K.

I think you'll learn to really love the Duramax/Allison combo. There just isn't much wrong with the whole package, it covers the bases like no truck I have ever owned.

You'll have to add a brake controller - although the truck's wiring is all there, so having an experienced shop install one takes 20-30 minutes max and most of that is drilling the holes to mount the bracket. I recommend the Techonsha Prodigy its digital and I have three. They have a lifetime warranty as well.

Welcome aboard!

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2006, 20:51
Welcome to the Forums!

Go to mygmlink.com , sign up, and register your truck. It's a free service, and you'll have online access to your owner's manual. It will also list all the recalls you may not be aware of, and whether they've been done or not.

mark45678
09-30-2006, 16:11
one more thing if you dont have the factory wiring harnes that plugs into the fuse box at your left foot this will slow your installer down big time and you run the risk of them doing something stupid .... If you dont have the pig tail got to any gm truck dealer and ask for one at the parts counter , it plugs right in and has B+, b- , stop signal, dash lighting and trailer brake out put and all you will need is a few but splices , the maxi fuse pluged in and a wire land on post # 2 in the under the hood fuse panel . This will make all features of the 7 pin connector work without hacking up the factory harness! I also use the Prodigy controler , yes it more money but it will never let you down !

Fyi all of the cheap break controlers I have seen will fail if you get a back feed. Ever trip on the runaway cable and un plug it from the trailer..... guess what your cheap break controler is toast! most of the better ones this doesnt happen.