PDA

View Full Version : Brake Controller and Wiring?!

MikeyB
09-28-2006, 15:59
I have a 2001 2500 HD DMax. I am buying a two axle trailer and will also need to get a brake controller. Any thoughts on whats best and how easy it is to install? I have been looking at the Progidy and it looks like they have a premade harness to plug into the below dash unit and then into the back of the brake controller itself. Anyone done this before, hate paying people to install something I could do myself!

Thanks,
Mike

DmaxMaverick
09-28-2006, 16:59
The Prodigy with the harness is by far, the easiest. The controller works well, and you'll not have any wires and splicing to mess with. Plug 'n Play, so to speak. Just be sure to get the harness for 2001-2002. 2003+ are different.

MikeyB
09-28-2006, 17:16
Thanks, but most web retailers show the same harness for '99-2002. Was the wiring the same?

Mike

upsguy
09-28-2006, 17:24
When I first bought my TT, I let the dealer install a break controller that was made by Husky. I wasn't happy with it and later installed the Prodigy myself and it's way better. Get the Prodigy, you won't regret it.

As far as hooking it up, my Prodigy came with a wiring harness that had a plug that plugged into the brake controller and the other end you wired to your factory wiring harness that came with your vehicle (if you bought one that had the tow package). The factory wiring harness plugs into the control panel underneath dash to the left of steering column. The diagram in the GM owners manual shows which socket to plug it into. It's really easy and you can do it yourself.

The way it's designed , if you tow with two different vehicles, you can get a second prodigy wiring harness and install in second vehicle and just unplug the brake controller and swap from vehicle to vehicle.

For more info on brake controllers, check out the RV.net forums.

DmaxMaverick
09-28-2006, 20:58
Thanks, but most web retailers show the same harness for '99-2002. Was the wiring the same?

Mike

That should be OK. I was refering to the HD, which was 01-02. The 1500's of the same tooling started in 1999. There is some difference in the wiring with a Diesel engine. You will need to install a 40 amp Maxi-fuse in the underhood fuse box if you wan't 12V charge power to your trailer (like for battery charging, lights, etc.). Check to be sure the "break-away" brake battery on the trailer (or service batteries if it's a TT) is getting alternator power (check the voltage with engine running and off). If you have an empty fuse slot at the top/left (looking over the fender) of the box, that will be where you need to install it. 2001+ HD's and 3500's with the trailering option came with the brake harness (with blank ends), a fuse, and instructions to wire for brakes/power. If your truck has/had an OEM hitch, and the Z82 RPO on the glove box label, it came with the harness and fuse. If you are not the original owner, a previous owner may have kept the harness, and/or fuse.

upsguy
09-29-2006, 17:52
On my '06 the instructions on the OEM harness that came with the truck said you didn't need to install the fuse if you had the second battery option, only if you had one battery.

DmaxMaverick
09-29-2006, 19:06
On my '06 the instructions on the OEM harness that came with the truck said you didn't need to install the fuse if you had the second battery option, only if you had one battery.

That applies ONLY to gassers. On Diesel equipped vehicles, both batteries are one, for the purpose of argument. The gassers have an isolator, whereas the Diesels are wired parallel. One battery is not an option for Diesels.

upsguy
10-01-2006, 22:17
What about diesels require you to have two batteries? They're wired in parallel, that just gives you more reserve.

DmaxMaverick
10-02-2006, 00:24
Glow plugs....Intake heater....High compression....Rotational mass....Bearing surface area....Min. 100 RPM cranking....Compression ignition....A little reserve....

Parallel allows higher amperage. Reserve, if you have any, is an added bonus, but doesn't mean anything if you don't get it started.

upsguy
10-02-2006, 19:41
Well, I better put the fuse in mine.

mattb5150
10-15-2006, 11:30
I had the Prodigy in my 2002 and just traded it in for a 2003. I kept the original harness that came with my old truck and the Prodigy harness that I had purchased for the 2002 from Camping World. So naturally I went to Camping World and bought another harness for the 2003. Well come to find out both Prodigy built harensses were the same plug, I must have bought the wrong one originally for the 2002 or someone switched them in the store. No wonder my trailer brakes were acting weird in the final towing days with the 2002!

You can check the plugs out on Tekonshas website at www.tekonsha.com

Matt

Fred Ficarra
11-07-2006, 14:30
Glow plugs....Intake heater....High compression....Rotational mass....Bearing surface area....Min. 100 RPM cranking....Compression ignition....A little reserve....

Parallel allows higher amperage. Reserve, if you have any, is an added bonus, but doesn't mean anything if you don't get it started.

Hell, I run TWO yellow tops in the trunk of my hotrod. :D With my Duramax, that makes four.