PDA

View Full Version : advise on buying a '96 burb

mrdueck
09-29-2006, 09:35
Looks like I finally found a deal I can afford. '96 burb, 88K (third vehicle I've found with this exact millage, should I be concerned?) one owner being sold by a used car dealership.

I know these vehicles don't have the cooling upgrade which I can do myself yet. Any other concerns to be aware of? It doesn't have a passenger side air bag which I find odd. Might this be a very early '96 that won't have the OBD II? How can I varify this?

Rudy
Potential very happy new burb owner.

Shikaroka
09-29-2006, 09:42
My 96 doesn't have the passenger side air bag either.
If it is a "96" model year, then it should be OBD-II.

Since the injectors usually only last 80-100k miles, you may be looking at replacing them soon. I think they have an extended warranty on the IP until 120k miles, so you might get lucky there.

chickenhunterbob
09-29-2006, 09:44
So far as I know OBD I ended with the 1995 model year, if it is 1996, it is OBD II.

mrdueck
09-29-2006, 09:48
Since the injectors usually only last 80-100k miles, you may be looking at replacing them soon. I think they have an extended warranty on the IP until 120k miles, so you might get lucky there.

Thanks! How much for a set of injectors?
Any other higher price repairs that are typical aside from brakes and shocks?

chickenhunterbob
09-29-2006, 10:06
Aside from having a good look at the vehicle, if you are unaware of the previous service history, it would b every difficult to speculate what type of problems could be encountered or parts required in the near or distant future.

One good thing about buying in Manitoba is the safety certificate (assuming it is fresh) pretty much eliminates front end problems, brakes, exhaust, tires etc. for a little while anyways.

If the safety is not fresh I would tell them that I would prefer a new one done before I considered buying.

Probably from a dealer it will have a new safety.

Also probably from a dealer it will have a steam cleaned engine compartment and undercarriage that will not reveal non-safety items, such as leaking oil cooler lines, front or rear crank oil seals, transfer case or axle seals etc etc and etc ad nauseum which can get expensive real fast.

Buying a used vehicle really means buying what is left of a vehicle. Start it, listen to it run, take it for a good spin, town and out on the highway, look it over real good, is about all you can do. Talk to the previous owner if at all possible, if the dealer will divulge the name.

The mileage sounds pretty low either way, whether 88k is miles or kilometers, so I would think it may have a lot of life left in it yet, but it would not be prudent to judge much based on mileage alone.

Good luck.

Shikaroka
09-29-2006, 10:08
The injectors run from about $200 to $400 a set.
Rebuilt IPs go for at least $600-$1000.

chickenhunterbob
09-29-2006, 10:26
With regards to the injection pump extended warranty, it applies until the earliest of 11 years, or 120,000 miles (193,000 km).

If the vehicle being contemplated was initially placed on active duty any day before Sept 29, 1995 (which is possible) then the warrenty provided by the special policy is kaput, even though the mileage is less than 193,000km.

You would have to have the VIN checked to know the in-service date, and a VIN check would also reveal whether a new IP or PMD were installed under warranty.

Shikaroka
09-29-2006, 10:37
You would have to have the VIN checked to know the in-service date, and a VIN check would also reveal whether a new IP or PMD were installed under warranty.

Do you know where you can do that?
(other than my "oh-so-helpful" dealership :( )

mrdueck
09-29-2006, 10:37
It is a US vehicle for $9800. The vehicle looks immaculate on pics and is described as same. The dealer is stating it is a 10/10 and pics, which I know don't show all, seem to support that. I'm getting him to send a wack more pics and I'm going to run the VN# once I get it. Anybody know off hand who on the post can do this for me? Apparently there is a GM connection here that can help me out.

It is risky buying out of country, particularly from a used car dealer :(
The price is right and he states he checked the whole body and can see no signs of repaint. I know I know, he can say what ever he wants. I've talked to him 2x now and so far all is checking out.