PDA

View Full Version : Left side mounted Turbo?? For Australian Conversion

ozbrad
09-30-2006, 09:17
G'day,
I've just bought a 6.2 for a project vehicle and a turbo is definatly required.

I'm searching for a Banks type 'kit' that mounts the turbo on the left side of the engine bay Anyone seen one??

The right side has the diff, propshaft and brake booster to snake around (yep, it's right hand drive - I'm Australian). Left side will be easier and neater to package.

Might have to fab up a set of extractors if there is nothing available.

Cheers,

Brad.

HammerWerf
09-30-2006, 20:56
Brad,

Welcome to the Page. Lots of knowledge in here.

Don't know if there are left side turbo systems available. That doesn't mean there might not be. We have a number of members that hail from down your way. Perhaps they will chime in.

HammerWerf

Craig M
10-02-2006, 07:16
Have never seen a left size single turbo for the 6.2/6.5. Lots of right side manifords for them.

john8662
10-02-2006, 07:42
This could get creative!

One thing (I haven't even looked to see if it's possible yet) is take a 6.5 turbo manifold and install it on the US driver's side (cylinders 1-7) and run your crossover pipe on the front of the engine. Sames goes for the other side, figure out which manifold will mount backwards on the other side.

It's gonna be custom fer sure.

J

Craig M
10-02-2006, 14:21
In looking thru other messages in this forum saw just what you were talking about. Penninsular Diesel has a twin turbo for the 6.5 diesel. More Power has posted a photo of it. This is typically for a marine diesel, but could easily be used for our trucks. As always watch out for cooling. The marine diesel gets the benefit of water cooling while our trucks use the relitively ineficient air cooling intercoolers.

HammerWerf
10-02-2006, 17:00
http://www.thedieselpage.com/archive.htm

'Brad,

One of our members in the Neatherlands built a twin turbo setup for his ex US Army Blazer. The above link will take you to the article archive. It is the last one (at the bottom of the page). This will give you some ideas.

HammerWerf

ozbrad
10-03-2006, 02:34
Thanks boys,

A mate at work had that idea today at work, use the same manifolds but use them on the other head. That'd work fine (in my head at least).

Keep the hot turbine to the back exhaust take off in the right direction and rotate the outlet, cross over pipe under the front.

Looks like thats the plan.

Craig M
10-03-2006, 08:03
The manifold from Peninsular appears to use equal length tubes for the header. That is probably better than the stock manifold with all 4 inlets going to one pipe.

Inspector
10-03-2006, 10:35
Ozbrad:

There is a fellow in Austrailia that does GM diesel conversions to fords and the like. His name is Leo Wignell.
I contacted Jim (More Power) and he has the information that you need to get in contact with him. I know that he has manufactured his own left side manifolds, I have seen pictures.
Contact Jim with a PM and he will fix you up. Good luck and welcome to the Diesel Page.
Denny

ozbrad
10-04-2006, 03:25
Leo Wignall is based in Euroa, he must be the bloke dad mentioned that we would go check out.

All sorted.

Inspector
10-04-2006, 14:21
Glad to be of help. I got to get down under and see your wonderful country sometime.
Good Luck.
Denny

Dmax son
10-05-2006, 01:21
There is a member named noelb, from Australia, that has a 98 Suburban, that is right hand drive, you might want to ask him how his turbo is set up. I have seen a picture of the right hand drive suburban, and it looked like it had a center mount turbo like the hummers, but I could be wrong.

Bryan

oilburnertoo
10-05-2006, 12:42
I believe noelb's rig has a center mount turbo like the hummers and vans have. Could be wrong though.

Peter J. Bierman
10-07-2006, 05:41
Funny, I did not know my article was still on the page!

Any way, it's not that hard to fab manifolds, I used a solid plate to bols it up to the heads and that gave me some trouble with the glowplugs and the heads are not flat so I had to grind them to fix that.

Some body I know http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/kolkman.htm made a very cool set of stainless headers with just the four plates at the ports like it's supposed to be.
Just take your time and step by step you can build your own custom headers and put the turbo were ever you like

Good luck, Peter

Ratau
10-08-2006, 23:06
Peter

Could you perhaps get a detail picture from Arjan Kolkman to see how each exhaust port "T" into the manifold. Do you know if it's at a right angle or does it join in with a bend to ease the flow?

Peter J. Bierman
10-09-2006, 12:14
Danie,

from what I can see on the pic's I have, there are bended pipes going up from the ports and T straight into the monifold, both manifolds are flushed together under the turbo.
So the manifold construction is kinda simmilar to my manifolds.

Peter