PDA

View Full Version : Big smoke,no idle, help!

gofastpilot
10-01-2006, 07:55
I had a mechanical failure on my 1997 6.5 TD while I was driving and the engine quit running and wouldnt restart. Didnt have a code reader handy to check it out.Thought I fried a PMD so I tried a different one still wouldnt start. Figured the IP took a crap. After I removed the timing cover I discovered that the whole IP timing gear hub had come loose and was spinning on the IP tapered shaft. I was able to buy a good used hub and 8 brand new injectors from the guys at Huckstorf Diesel Service in Franklin WI. After fitting the new hub/gear onto the pump and lining up the timing marks I sealed it all up, installed the new injectors and tried to fire it up. What happened was that the engine wouldnt run unless I put my foot into the throttle and smoked like nuts. Bought a code reader and found "Injection timing control circuit malfunction" come up. What does this mean? Checked all wiring and changed out the crankshaft sensor. Still wouldnt run right still the same code came up. Finally I shifted the timing mark on the IP to the drivers side which I think retarded the timing and the engine finally started to run more smoothly but upon accelerating it would miss. I starting to think ECM now..........gofastpilot

tommac95
10-05-2006, 06:39
I'd have a pro with an OEM scanner run through the full timing sequence.

There is advice on timing in the reference section here, and discussion of TDC offset and many other issues in these forums [much accessible with the 'search' aspect].

At 166K Mi might consider renewal of timing-chain/coolant-pump first; and careful check on harmonic balancer & crank accessory-drive pulley.