PDA

View Full Version : Gasket sealant/maker?

dieseldummy
10-02-2006, 17:23
So I've always used Peratex black RTV sealent for the valve covers, oilpan, timing cover, and ect. Well I have never gotten a leak free seal. It doesn't matter how clean things are, how flat the surfaces are, or anything. I've been told that The Right Stuff is a good sealent and comes in a spray can. How many people haved used this stuff and is it anygood?? I'm going back through my '93 and doing valve covers and want to do it right for once.
Thanks,
Justin

Nobby
10-02-2006, 18:50
I have used The Right Stuff extensively professionally and have nothing but good results with it. Indeed its name is certainly appropriate and usually choose it over silicone. Its cost can be prohibitive tho.
I will also add though that I am also a big believer in using gaskets when possible instead of goo's, altho this topic can be discussed at great length.

Its useage time is fairly short. Make sure you allow it to actually form a gasket before snugging bolts down and then do not overtighten this applys to any goo really. I try to apply cover, take up bolts evenly to just squeeze and form gasket then leave overnight. Try to undertighten bolts slightly and take up if weeps are still obseerved. I learnt along time ago that if you overtighten something and it still leaks then you have nowhere to go.

john8662
10-02-2006, 21:44
I think "The Right Stuff" works great, which (consequently) is also made my permatex.

Now, why in the world can't they just make the other stuff work?

RTV ain't created equally is it?

I like another sealant I've gotten from The Diesel Depot, made by Kent Industries, it's called Sili-gasket.

The Sili stuff doesn't wipe off with brake parts cleaner etc, so put it where it belongs, otherwise scrape it off later!!!

I feel your pain on leaky valve covers!

84 Convert
10-03-2006, 23:36
One of my co-workers used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and he suggested using Cat grade RTV. He says it works much better than Permatex and is less expensive. It can be found at truck parts shops.

Gregg