PDA

View Full Version : Another cracked block ?

Big Green
10-03-2006, 04:10
Ok, I've been bitten by the cracked block bug...

I took my truck down for the gear drive/cooling mods/main stud girdle plus a handful of maintenance items that it needed after nearly 200k of faithful service. WELL, when I pulled the pan to install the main stud girdle I found 1 crack near the outer bolt on the #3 main bearing cap. It is cracked on the aft side only and by the length of the crack it appears that it only runs to the bottom of the bolt hole.

So here is the question doctor.... it is terminal?

I had intended to add either the Heath or JK chip but now I'm a little less enthused as you might imagine....

Has anyone else ran one knowing it was cracked? outcome?

Thanks in advance
Big Green
'95 K2500
JK exhaust and intake mods and not much else yet.

john8662
10-03-2006, 11:22
I don't get as worried about a block in service that has one crack, with that crack just being on one side of the main, if it's on both sides, then it's a little worse.

I'd say run it. Put the girdle in to reduce the stress on the other mains, may save the crank in the longer run.

How does the harmonic balancer look?

J

Big Green
10-04-2006, 04:12
John8662
Run it is pretty much the plan at this point. I installed the girdle and buttoned up the bottom end.

I'd have to say the harmonic balancer was starting to fail. The rubber appeard to be migrating out slightly in one spot on the back side. The new harmonic balancer has already been installed.

Thanks for the input.

Big Green

AndyLBZ
10-05-2006, 11:13
Check out this site. www.locknstitch.com I repaired two blocks using these. So far so good. These threaded inserts are amazing.