PDA

View Full Version : Oil feed line to Turbo

Hubert
10-03-2006, 10:18
I replaced my injectors and drivers side seem nice and dry. Can't see too well into passanger side will continue to monitor and try to use flashlight and different angles.

I opted to remove turbo and inner fender for the job. Now my oil feed to turbo weeps oil.

It appears to be similar to JIC hydraulic fitting. I probably did not have it aligned close enough and or over torqued it on reassembly by hand tightening it first.

Any recommendations for trying to heal it. I took it back off and pulled the nut up blew it out with brake parts cleaner and tried to align it squarely then tighten nut slowly to torque spec ~ 13 ft-lbs. Should I attempt again to seat it? Should I grease the fitting before tightening or other. I would not want to over torque it severly any recommendations for max torque?

The male connector looked to have a circle indent or a witness mark from line flare in it should I replace the male part on the turbo? Source?

I don't expect there is a sealant to help seal this is there?

tommac95
10-03-2006, 10:53
If the leak is at the slip joint or crimp, maybe new fitting from hydraulic line shop??

If leaking at the compression fitting , i'd try overtorquing , maybe replace adapter fitting.

If the line ruptures while you're running at speed, you could lose the lower end from lack of lube , so need be sure where it is in trouble ; this item is pretty much mission-critical....

I think it's a teflon(or nylon) hose within braid. If the problem is the hose, a hydraulic shop could probably reuse the fittings, and renew hose portion.

Hubert
10-04-2006, 06:38
Its the fitting that is leaking. 37 degree taper / flare type fitting. It just weeps a little oil down the threads of the adapter. I doubt it will fail catastrophically.

I probably had it misaligned when I installed it and bent the flaring a bit??? It was one of the last things I did and was getting impatient to drive it. Another lesson learned the hard way.

I undid it again coated it with 3 in 1 oil and uped the torque a couple of lbs. It still weeps but slower I think.

All I've ever heard is if you severly over torque them the flare end will split and leak worse????

Any suggestions?

Are there any specialty hydraulic sealers or grease to ease assembly torquing and mating of tapers?