PDA

View Full Version : New water pump, stiff action

johnanc
10-03-2006, 15:47
Bought and mounted new (GM) high output water pump. Shaft very stiff to turn initially but less so after turning by hand after ~10 turns. Still seems to have a place where shaft or impeller may be rubbing. Anyone run into similar pump action?

john8662
10-04-2006, 08:45
Before or after you mounted it to the backing plate?

tommac95
10-05-2006, 06:42
i've poured coolant into the drain port to get fluid on the shaft seal...

obviously if impeller rubbing, or bearing binding, don't want to run it. If got from dealer , let them check it; haven't heard of similar complaints here.

JeepSJ
10-07-2006, 15:40
I noticed that mine was stiff also. As soon as I got coolant into it, it got nice and smooth.

johnanc
10-10-2006, 19:24
Didn't notice any stiffness before I mounted the pump to the backing plate and engine. After turning hub my hand and pouring coolent into unplugged port it turns easier can still here metal to metal rubbing. Torqued hardware to spec's from Diesel Page Overhaul book, wonder if impellar is rubbing against backing plate?

johnanc
10-11-2006, 08:15
Found problem after taking pump back off. Gasket overlaps area where impeller has smallest amount clearance with housing, excess sealant used to coat gasket had glued impeller to housing at this spot. Used dry gasket for reinstall.