PDA

View Full Version : How Do I replace Optical Sensor on DS-4

AndyLBZ
10-05-2006, 09:17
Where do I get an optical sensor and what is involved with replacing it? The dealer is telling me my injection pump is bad even though it runs great and is putting 240hp to the rear wheels, but it stalls all the time. I replaced the lift pump, fuel filter, new batteries, swapped out PMD's, had alternator tested, and supplied the PMD with a direct switched 12V+ and direct ground. The dealer said when the optical sensor was unplugged, the engine no longer stalled at idle-his book then says the injection pump is bad. I had the injection pump tested last fall and checked out to be OK with only 40,000 miles on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JohnC
10-05-2006, 12:12
If the optical sensor is causing it to stall it will set diagnostic codes. Does it?

You may be able to get one form a Stanadyne distributor, or from another pump. They don't fail often.

If it's not setting codes, look at the stalling thread anchored to the top of the thread list for this forum.

MTTwister
10-05-2006, 15:46
There's the "Goldmine" thread - should have just what you're looking for ( unless you have dial up)

DA BIG ONE
10-05-2006, 17:31
http://www.mamut.com/homepages/Norway/3/4/royh/newsdet9.htm