PDA

View Full Version : New valve body

afgunn
10-05-2006, 19:57
What would be the effect of replacing the valve body in a 4L80 with about 170K miles? Would the shifts and operation "tighten up"? As far as I know, the transmission is in good condition. It was recently serviced and no "bad" conditions were reported - no metal or other contamination.

DmaxMaverick
10-05-2006, 20:01
The valve body is about the most "non issue" part of the tranny. A single valve body can survive a dozen rebuilds, and still function like new. I don't think you'll get any noticeable gain, unless something is broken with your current one.

If you want to "pep it up", install a shift kit.

john8662
10-05-2006, 21:55
The only thing I'd do is drive it, but you could consider changing the shift solenoids in the valve body...

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2006, 03:49
You will find update info along with modified hard parts the eliminate issues that were built into the 4L80's.

I suggest kevlar clutches, best torque converter you can get along with transgo off road/towing mods if you are doing rebuild......You will have a tranny that can standup to way more hp/tq than you can get your diesel to put out......Perhaps an upgrade to a larger trans cooler is in order too B&M's super cooler comes to mind here.

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/

Good luck!

afgunn
10-06-2006, 15:56
Would it be ok to put the Transgo HD II Shift Kit in a trans with the miles mine has? Just had it serviced and no problems were reported and it shifts and operates fine.

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2006, 22:15
Would it be ok to put the Transgo HD II Shift Kit in a trans with the miles mine has? Just had it serviced and no problems were reported and it shifts and operates fine.

Installing any mod to your trans w/milage it has would be a flip of a coin w/o careful & hands on professional evaluation IMHO.